Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

I'd seen this thread back in December, but just recently came upon this nice piece from FBJ on Robin in 2011 -...
  2. Re: Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I didn't know Paul was from the Detroit area (before my time) and that he'd taught at Fava's - where I studied classical and jazz guitar in the 70s. Fava's was "The" place.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Joni Mitchell Mandolin?

Sounds to me like a tsymbaly or equivalent -
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

Just a bit of added info: Contemporarily, solo flamenco guitar, or toque, employs standard use of capo to provide added "brightness" to the sound. Of course, it also assists in playing fast...
  5. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Time is everything. Have you seen the AD interview Beato did - if you have "rock steady" as TX2AK mentioned, you can fly. The more you can feel the beat, pulse, the farther you can fly.

6. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I studied with formal teachers at the beginning (age 10), including a classical foundation. This was guitar, but I deploy the same principles, derived from classical pedagogy, to every instrument...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Time vs. Half Time

You're correct - we merely call it 'double-time.' We can divide the beats any way we wish - for example Latin music is in fours, but the signature syncopation is rendered by playing 'unequal'...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Irvine is 81 today!

Here's another nice piece from apparently May this year

https://youtu.be/ZvlaCZuwsIw
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

The pedagogy is a lifelong process. System of feedback and correction. The classical model is one such option. I don't understand what the point of contention is?

Reminds me of one time during...
  10. Replies
    Views

Well golly, I'm glad you think some of what I wrote is 'true.' ;)

I'll concede that there are plenty of factors why people drop out of study.

Was someone offering a contrary opinion on...
  11. Replies
    Views

Have to disagree here:

The 'classical' system is predicated on the obverse of your observation here. Tone production, and technical mastery are the fundamentals, and rigorously practiced from...
  12. Re: Pinky workouts for a pinky that wants to always turn?

Independence is what will enhance your technical facility in all aspects of playing.

Someone had posted a yo yo ma vid on another pedagogy thread - we can use it here as well.

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand technique

There really is no substitute for 1:1 teacher/coach when drilling fundamentals. As you say, you need that immediate feedback and correction. To train the hands/fingers this way, teacher stops and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Right, the 'classical' pedagogic model is a highly codified system - based on technical mastery - so you know what you're going to get out of that approach. So, when seeking tuition (outside of the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Ya there is a rule - keep your fingers on the strings, unless there is a reason to bring them off.

I'd initially put that down under 'Tips' (study a traditional stringed instrument, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

In this respect, mandolin is no different from any other stringed instrument. If you have the benefit of a classical background, you learn to play with economy from the outset. Every time you make...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Today's practice room

Best one there is, there

Mine for the day - (there's actually a mndln in there :) )
  18. Replies
    Views

Villads Hoffmann

https://youtu.be/0D0RKv0nqNU
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin vs Banjo

DB is king of stringed instruments. And sexy. When in college I had my DB laying on its side next to my bed during sleeping hours; one night I awoke and found myself on the floor kneeling next to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: David Lindley, RIP

Dave is a great inspiration to me. I first saw him on Jackson's Pretender album tour in 76 or 77 or whatever, and later learned all his pedal steel solo's on For Everyman back when I was playing...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Calypso Mandolin

I totally support your excursion. For me, from the states, it's in my blood - through the bluesmen to looney tunes, disney and carol kaye - samba - and when I heard recording of danny barker i sang...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Calypso Mandolin

This is an example of how so many of these styles merged into the 'rhumba' - your basic 3 against 4 tresillo rhythm - with accents of their origins. Pretty much everything came from griot tradition,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Jessen nyckelharpa

TJ Jessen harpa. NFI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255978589531?hash=item3b99834d5b:g:xo4AAOSw-A1j6xBm
  24. Re: Recommendations for a resonant, deep bodied mandolin under 90

A mandolin is such a wonderful flourish and sparkle in music but, yes it doesn't play much outside of its timbral range. Have you considered mandola?
  25. Re: Playing for dancing at a friend's birthday party

Time. Is everything. Whatever tunes you pick, make sure that you can play them with precise and steady time - which may be a bit faster than you're accustomed to playing them.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4