Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Christophe Mineau - Mandoline bariton électrique "Les Paul"

I stumbled across this Christophe Mineau 46cm or 18" scale length LesPaul styled E-mando and thought people may be interested.

He describes the build in much photographic detail in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Ten Tweaks for your mandolin

I agree: if mandolins are your biggest problem, UR doing it right.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What to do with a spare mando?

Polymandoly is an ancient tradition in many cultures. :cool:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A need for different picks explained?

Just say if you've only one then how do you take yer pick?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why should I avoid this one?

I wouldn't buy it if only because of the obnoxious spacing in the auction description. But that's just me.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The way we all go

I went to visit my mother in law in a nursing home who is unfortunately demented with Parkinson's. I was sitting at a lunch with her and several other demented souls. I took out my mando and played...
  7. Replies
    Views

That describes what I did last night (much more eloquently than ever I could). A handful of musicians sitting in a circle jamming until the wee hours of the morning. I was way outclassed but the...
  8. Replies
    Views

So in the face of the inevitability of death, decay and dissolution there is a cure.

Play music with each other. As often as possible. Make loud raucous fun. Throw infinite moments of joy and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Amen. I've created a list of who gets my instruments when I can no longer play them and can no longer make those decisions for whatever reason. It's an interesting, sobering exercise. It's helped me...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice for Muscle Memory

Yep. And all this with a perfectly ready and well-known tune; we haven't even started to talk about improvisation...

There is yet another way of putting it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice for Muscle Memory

I think every tune one learns brings one closer to "speaking" mandolin. (or fiddle, or piano, or whatever) One's vocabulary deepens. This thread reminded me, I had not played Bill Cheatem in years....
  12. Re: Why are Mandolins more fun than Guitars? :confused:

I did not come from guitar. I started with mandolin (okay - I did play a bit of piano as a kid). I have since learned a bit of guitar, but it does not hold the same attraction for me as mandolin. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Dixie Chicken

wow. thanks for dredging this old thread up!

We do Willin' in G (sometimes we'll throw in Don't Bogart), and we're working on Dixie Chicken in A. Hope to have it ready by next gig.

Sailin'...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Prices dropping on high end mandolins?

I like nice instruments. I have several moderately great guitars and mandolins. Most of my good instruments are in the $3K to $6K range. I do not own the $20+K top end stuff, much less the prewar...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

While 'niche' and 'mass culture' are not mutually exclusive, they are not identical. I think Classical and BG can be legitimately considered niche, but the idea that that means they are not...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

One of my worst fears is the mandolin becoming "mainstream", or being as ubiquitous as the guitar. I'm quite happy with its history and its current place in music. Some folks may see this position...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Straps and Stands

I have a Lakota flat braid strap. It's comfortable and soft, but they use elk hide as I recall (like chamois material), and it's way too stretchy. I also worry about the integrity of the hole...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: fender mini strat to octave?

You can always do what I did. :grin:
  19. Re: Strange side-effects of mandolin playing...

Two mirrors at right angles form a so-called true mirror which shows you to yourself like others see you, i.e. without switching left/right. Tasks you are used to do against a simple mirror suddenly...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange side-effects of mandolin playing...

Playing mandolin lead to my interest in drinking single-malt scotch.
  21. I'm putting my vintage instrument collection on the web

I've made a hobby of collecting obscure and interesting old guitars, mandolins and other instruments. I appreciate them both as playable noisemakers and as pieces of musical history, and I finally...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: why no Martin mandolins?

Volume and projection I would tend to agree with. But I do not agree that the tone of a carved top mandolin is superior, it is just different and also not the same between round/oval and f-hole...
  23. Handy String-Changing Widget. Thanks Home Depot!

This may be the most common thing in the world around here, and everybody knows about it. However, it just occurred to me today. The hardest part of changing mandolin strings for me is keeping the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Weird Behavior From Band Mate(s)

Journeybear: Two thoughts. First, I think your bandmates aren't musicians, they're anselochen (Bertram, help me out here). They exist in every field, and they're the people who think they should...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I am speechless.....

I dunno, I kind of like it.

I notice from the cover that it's 'In hi-fi!', so that's good.

Utterly eccentric, which I tend to be sympathetic to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2