Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: do you own/have experience with a Martin Style 5 Terz?

very cool 5-35!
  2. Re: do you own/have experience with a Martin Style 5 Terz?

Thank you for all this info, so far I'm not finding a lot of info unless it's from someone who owns/plays one.
    Such a cool little instrument.
    d
  3. Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

Oh, that's all right. This is sort of a break while waiting for any of the suggestions to work out, or someone else to offer a suggestion that does the trick. A bit of a palate cleanser, so to speak....
  4. Replies
    Views

Happy Anniversary Mandolin Cafe!

Scott-

Congratulations! You and the Mandolin Cafe team have created something really special, and valuable. I know I'm not alone in appreciating how much this means musically and socially. One of...
  5. Ricky & Marty Play Bill's Mandolin on "Big Night"

You've got to check out the recent hour and a half show filmed at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum which is now on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKUUSntqWQ

Some legendary...
  6. Replies
    Views

Difficult week for musicians

Johnny Nash, reggae singer who did I can See Clearly Now died yesterday,
    Along with Eddie Van Halen. Helen Reddy and Mac Davis died earlier in the week.

It is a tough week.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Update From The Mandolin Store

Hello all. I appreciate the prayers and concern about my dad, Dennis. I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that we are still open and functioning as "normal." Sure, it's a little...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Hull Covers Prine

When I first watched John’s video of this tune it brought me to tears. Saddest presentation imaginable.
  9. Replies
    Views

Hull Covers Prine

Fingerpicking on OM with a drop-dead gorgeous vocal. I hope it’s on the list for her next album.

https://youtu.be/OkiiXCbWq1Y
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Ted Eschliman

Happy birthday, Ted!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How Do I Maximize An Octave Mandolin?

Ask Olga ! She's wonderfully enthusiastic about using her Octave in DuoRo & solo.

jwkAT7Ytk1M

Uev8gXuVexw

JDNG400G56A

0WBEE-X-xH8
  12. Replies
    Views

Tim O’Brien uses an octar really effectively to support his vocals, but those tend to be more percussive than regular OM’s.

https://youtu.be/6Hl1YNvWzi0
  13. Replies
    Views

Acoustic Dead duo tunes

My good buddy Steve Roy & I have a duo, Steve & Dave Play Dead, which is what we do, and we did it as part of an online fest we are a part of, Dead to the Core, this past weekend. We are the only act...
  14. Replies
    Views

Not the worst point to start. Steeleye Span comes to mind...
  15. Replies
    Views

I have brought both my mandolin and octave mandolin to play in church music groups for about 15 years. The church music I've played has been really diverse, from classical, to spirituals, to...
  16. Replies
    Views

I'm going to recommend that you actually learn that familiar music from guitar on OM.

As an example, let's say you put on a greatest hits album from the Doobie Brothers' guitar-centric era. Get...
  17. Replies
    Views

Talking of Mattie, here’s a cracking song with banjo, I think he’s alternating to the fifth of each note whenever it’s a quarter or more, or maybe it’s my imagination!

L0jrPJXo4JQ
  18. Replies
    Views

A course on the octave by Mr. Natural:

https://www.mandolinshealtheworld.com/categories/20200601
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Reeltime Travelers

Martha Scanlan put out a couple of nice albums over the last 8 or 9 years. I've followed her as she writes a lot about places I love.
    https://youtu.be/b8HPPu7DBKU
  20. Replies
    Views

What's wrong with novelties? The OM is at least as good for song accompaniment as the guitar, it can be fingerpicked, it can be wet-tuned.

Melody playing with lots of doublestops is what I do....
  21. Replies
    Views

I love the octave for playing Scottish music, particularly pipe marches and a lot of Scottish and other fiddle music, where the octave's extra sustain is a valuable tool - it works quite well on slow...
  22. Replies
    Views

Agree -- I would also check out players like Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, I'm with Her band (for different voicings). All master players and worth listening to!
  23. Replies
    Views

I only recently dove down the mando rabbit hole but have played guitar for a few years. I'm not a stellar player but I have fun. I love bluegrass & TIM and dabble with both but my passion is blues....
  24. Replies
    Views

I’ve been playing the octave for about a year now and have deliberately tried to play just melody -and metronome melody at that. I know where the double stops are but I wanted to be firmly on the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Bill Cameron Explores that nicely here https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/150313-Its-All-Over-Now-Baby-Blue-on-Octave-Mando

There are others on many of these forums doing "cool" things...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4