Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Looper tips?

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Looper tips?

This is really true - Ableton is quite good for that sort of use. Much better than a loop pedal.

Also true! And there's nothing wrong with improving one's sense of time.
  2. Thread: Looper tips?

by dylandekk
    Replies
    Views

Are you looking to use a looper for creative improvisation / recording, or for doing live performances? If it's option 1, I'd highly recommend looking into software-based loopers (Ableton is my...
  3. Thread: Looper tips?

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

even with advanced technology its still tricky to do live, having a "formula" for making the loop helps. Most "live" loopers operate by foot switch so there's that too.

I have the RC 300 which is...
  4. Thank Mando Cafe and people.. got a mandolin!

Big thanks to Mandolin Cafe. The info on this site. And the people that gave some input.

With the info here. I avoided a couple of bad options. Stretched the budget. And ended up with a new...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing mandolins with a mandolin

Mentioning Nigel Tuffnel get's you a 212937

- - - Updated - - -

Because D minor is the saddest key.
  6. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

Along the lines of Aaron's thinking, I would recommend the piano keyboard which is a wonderful visual aid to seeing chords, with its layout of groups of two and three black keys dispersed among the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: How My Life Was Changed

12 year bump...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When I hear a new (to me) song I'd like to learn, I'll search it on YouTube for a version I like best. Then I figure out the chord prgression after wathing/listen7my/playing along a few times. Then...
  9. Replies
    Views

Just my opinion, but this has been my experience in applying mathematics, engineering concepts, plumbing, wiring, auto mechanics and music:

Memorizing steps, formulae, songs, etc. is fine, but...
  10. Replies
    Views

A lost cause at 1.5 years…maybe you’re being just a wee bit hard on yourself…?…I would guess you’ll feel this way 20 years from now.

Anyway, instead of memorization think internalization. Know -...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: OK, What Are The Odds ?

This proves that you need an ACOUSTIC metronome! Lol!
  12. Replies
    Views

OK, What Are The Odds ?

Changing strings on my mando this afternoon. New E-string slips out of my hand and falls perfectly into the tiny narrow space between the plug of my electronic metronome cord and the wall socket. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  14. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

The more one uses the 4th finger in playing, the less unruly it becomes.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

This is a wonderful quote!

As anyone who jams regularly knows, the toughest thing is to be first in line to take a break after a new song is started. :grin:

One must learn how to listen, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

“Music is a conversation, not a contest” so says Don Julin.
  17. Replies
    Views

One thing that may help you relax is understanding that mistakes happen to everybody, they go by quickly, and should be forgotten quickly. Try to learn to let 'em go by with a laugh and focus on...
  18. Replies
    Views

I share your despair and I'm not really a newbie, just not a fast player. The discipline to work on the mechanics of picking, the 'zen' of relaxing and the confidence of performing are three...
  19. an audience that is engaged with the performer

neat video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H27FChhSi8&t=85s
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Playing it slowly is the obvious solution. The trick is to make "slowly" seem like the right tempo. Think Reggae or give it a heavy backbeat. Make it groove at a slow bluesy tempo. Overdo the swing...
  21. Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

I don't have any advice except that sometimes you need to just take a break, play something entirely different and then come back to it, although I don't have any real suggestions on timing.
  22. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

Not in performance, I’ve always done the troubador thing when performing solo. But yeah, like you I’ve made my own backing tracks by multitracking, and I’ve used some of the different softwares for...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

I wish I could remember the words of Pete Martin, something like, “there are no difficult keys, only unfamiliar ones.”
  24. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

Strum Macine is a great play-along resource. There is a cost, but it’s very low, compared to driving a long way. If you are looking for more advanced play alongs that simulate other players, there...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

It's standard procedure only for people who lack imagination.

Mandolin pops up from time to time on "worship" recordings that definitely aren't bluegrass, so the excuse they've given you is crap....
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4