Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

This ^^^^^ I'm not a great mandolin player but find myself frequently having to 'sell' worship leaders on the idea that I have something to offer on mandolin. If it's any comfort, I also play...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Good call Charlie, the title of one of my professional presentations is "Adult ADHD: What was the question?"
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

In contrast of Simon DS above, I am a doctor in that specific field (Ph.D. though, not MD) with ADHD as well. When I first began mandolin I subscribed to a year of lessons on Peghead Nation. For...
  4. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Not to pile on with all of us willing to spend your money for you, but here goes: I'm with the majority who favor finding a way to keep it. I'm more of a guitar player who can play mandolin. I can...
  5. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I admit to having skimmed the thread so disregard my comments if they are redundant. I would offer a qualified yes, learn to read music. I sight read on guitar as this was my first instrument and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Here's a Doozy....

Yikes. I think it has the original strings so maybe it's those vintage 3 strings that have upped the price
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Player at age 63

Welcome to the cafe! As you've already seen, this is a great place for good advice and encouragement. I came to the mandolin at 60 after around 50 years of playing guitar. It's a great instrument and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Enjoy the new mando! I check the classifieds nearly every day as well, then go play either of my mandolins and think, 'these are great!' So far so good....
  9. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

same here so I only have to decide which one to take as neither of them cost much! I do have a custom Martin guitar that I don't gig with though.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin.

and I would add that the joy of the mandolin is that you're never satisfied. There's always the factor of 'this is nice, but what i REALLY want is..." Have fun and enjoy the ride!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD and a little story

What a blessing you are to your family and to us Sheila! Thanks for sharing your story and your perspective. Good advice for all of us grandparents with instruments
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: gigs .... starting to return?

Yep, one two weeks ago, another this week and one each in June and August so far. Good to be back in the saddle!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Mandolins

Help us reconcile your February 11 post about your new Eastman 314 with what you've said above.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: pick-up options for a A style mando

Not to hijack the thread but you'll love your mando through a Loudbox!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

I bought mine direct from Tony and enjoy the improvement in tone. I have had it on my mandolin for years and frankly don't notice it. As a bonus, when I use the mic stand hangar for gigs, it...
  16. Re: Semi-beginner here... trade-up or keep what I have?

A second on this one. I look at the classifieds frequently then play my Breedlove Legacy OF and realize it's not the instrument that's holding me back!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 2013 Gibson F5 Fern

What a beauty! Enjoy it.
  18. Re: Eastman El Rey vs acoustic mandolin with pickup

I have a Breedlove Legacy OF with K & K pickup and recently got an El Rey. Even when not plugged in they're different animals, not one better than the other, just different. I've played both live...
  19. Thread: Eastma El Rey

by Leester
    Replies
    Views

Eastma El Rey

Finally found an Eastman El Rey in stock from my friends at the Mandolin Store. It's on the way to my house right now and I'm resisting the urge to sit in the driveway and wait. Just thought I'd...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey?

Dennis at the Mandolin Store said two weeks ago that he has a bunch of them on order and is just waiting for the order to be filled. My guess would be that Eastman may have underestimated their...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: No Wires ! Joe Walsh w/ Molly Tuttle

I see a business opportunity here. The new line of 'shut up and listen' condenser mics for live acoustic music. I'd buy at least two!
  22. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Northfield Mandolins

I was traveling through Michigan two weeks ago and so contacted Northfield mandolins via the 'contact us' feature on the website. I asked whether the show room was open which is part of the...