Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Video update: FF holes are now 98% complete. I won't take out significantly more material, just refine the edges for the visual aspect. This process with James' test rig has been such an eye opener,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Strings?

Hi there. Just happened across this post. To be clear, we do not wind our own strings. We work with progressional outfits that make strings as their specialty. We offer our preferred strings sets on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Back To Back

Back to Back was remastered(hi-Def) and made available by Acoustic Disc as a download. Outtakes are included..the entire CD's worth! said alternate takes are not problematic but rather contain...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading or authenticity

I fought with the difficulty of adapting my mandolin knowledge to mandola for several years. In fact, there are probably a million and half bitching and moaning posts here on the Cafe about it.
  5. Thread: The Four Seasons

by cjr
    Replies
    Views

The Four Seasons

Happy Friday,
    I'm working through recording my favorite piece of music, Vivaldi's Four Seasons. All mandolin parts are played on my Flatiron 1-N and the viola and portions of the cello parts on my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Ethan, Rick - you’re both added to the list.
  7. Re: Triplet Pick Direction When Followed by eigth notes

Always good to get different perspectives on triplets, quadruplets, quin… and then make up your own mind. Here’s one:

https://youtu.be/FXnQ5l-Qo1A?feature=shared
  8. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

I believe that there are many apps for flash cards that kendor could find, to answer the original question. I believe the best would be one that requires you to develop your own questions. The task...
  9. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

Learning the piano keyboard, even just as a music theory learning tool, is very useful. One advantage over the mandolin fingerboard is that each discrete pitch has only a single place to play them....
  10. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

As a fairly new mandolin player, Aaron's suggested approach using the mandolin keyboard has worked well for me on swing jazz tunes. When I started out I did try a flashcard approach and memorizing a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here's a quick little improv from the first night I got my Newport tenor. Definitely not a perfect performance but I absolutely love that guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNswk-nEgAQ
  12. Re: "Jacob Collier reinvents the guitar"

For the sake of the ironic humor, I have to point out that it's a genetic proofreading tic. :grin:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

Not much to add to this but this is why I like listening to electric mandolin, when there's someone that really knows how to get one set-up correctly and has the right kind of musical sensibilities...
  14. Replies
    Views

Why do you play electric?

I have been home all weekend on the holiday weekend here in France recovering from Bronchitis. Wife and kids have been visting family and going on outings. Yesterday, to stave off the boredom of...
  15. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

If Mandolin Cafe were ever to offer t-shirts for sale V-Neck should certainly be an option.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

We're OK with this being discussed, not OK with multiple instances of false/wrong information reposted for others to digest. Wherever this "key individuals" caused all this came from, I assure you,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Here's a further update to this. After keeping my mando in the case for a while, the padding has now compressed properly, and the case lid closes very easily without any resistance. I guess the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Luke's top is off the test rig and we glued it to the final rib garland this evening with the new go-bar deck. (More broken basses in the background!)

His fingerboard is made and fretted; binding...
  20. Replies
    Views

Here’s a quick video of my top on James’ test rig. Sound holes rough cut and braces shaped!

https://youtu.be/QI7IRJEizK0?feature=shared
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Fun to watch those old documentaries. Anyone know who the Guitar player was?
    Here’s couple of pix of me bringing my snakehead to it’s birthplace.
    212697 Joe B
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi Folks! Here's the first two videos I ever posted. 13 Years ago, shot on a Sony 8 digital tape. These were shortly before I found the MC and got back into mandolin again. Thanks for the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Yes. They mention that in the first video, about 1:50 in.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandola Day - Northfield Quickstep

I did play one of the demo models, I thought it was first rate! Congratulations!
  25. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4