Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

I am an avid promoter of a certain style of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. They have the comma f-holes. The body is slightly smaller than the average A shaped Gibson mandolin and - as far as I know - it was...
  2. Re: I know this is a subjective question but rank your top player

My main interest is in Irish and Scottish traditional music. But I do pay attention to BG and OT. No one has yet mentioned Mike Guggino, of the Steep Canyon Rangers. I find that his solo playing...
  3. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

AI doesn't create. It's a plagiarism machine--it steals ideas from humans and regurgitates them in slightly different forms. Copyright lawsuits have already been filed by visual artists and...
  4. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

AI is a threat to all art and artists, and I've said as much in several posts on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

Art is human expression. If one replaces the human with AI, what is left is mere...
  5. AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

This was released yesterday and has been picked up by an untold number of sites. Worth sharing for sure. A list of musicians with legitimate concerns about how artificial intelligence is being used....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Zappa quote

Victor Wooten says if you make a mistake play it again. He leans into mistakes. And the idea is that you notice it negatively the first time but the second time you’re used to it. And the third time...
  7. Replies
    Views

Wyatt Ellis debut album

https://youtu.be/i7A262zqp68?si=ZLIp_AdjBmscsBuZ
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
  9. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“Johnny’s guitar set up was pretty standard, although he did start tuning down a full step while I was still working with him,” Jon Paris pointed out. “Around that time, he started playing Lazer...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

Here is my 2 cents worth. (And I’ll probably get in trouble for it.) there is so much cult worship of the Loar era F-5 that imagination is stifled. If it ain’t a F-5 copy to the letter then it isn’t...
  11. Replies
    Views

Andy Leftwich "Behind the 8 Ball"

Caught this on Bluegrass Junction this morning for the first time and quite enjoyed it - thought I'd share for those who may not have heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7TWFUsJns
  12. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  13. Replies
    Views

Special Radio show

Over the holidays, I had the fun experience of visiting the special ‘Acoustic America’ exhibition at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. In case you missed it, the exhibition features...
  14. Re: "Elderlys" (To Be or Not To Be Confused With Elderly)

I took a look at the store after Bill brought this to our attention and grabbed a few screen shots. It is a straight out scam. We won't be listing the URL, just be aware. If something looks too good...
  15. Replies
    Views

The Eighth of January--Roland White

A great version by the late great Roland White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HI2jSxyEOM

0HI2jSxyEOM
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

The Smother’s Brothers were an incredible influence my life. The hard part of getting old is seeing the people you love and respect leave this world. They were as good as it could get.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

I remember watching their show when I was a kid, looked forward to seeing it every week. They were a face/voice of national protest at the time.
  18. Replies
    Views

Wyatt Ellis and Dominick Leslie

I guess the only problem with being a teenage virtuoso, is you still need someone to cart your ass around to gigs.

Some tasty pickin' here

mz6s9ua_avQ
  19. Replies
    Views

First build with James Condino

I’ve been working on building an A5 with the help of local luthier James Condino for a few weeks now. James has provided a ton of knowledge in just a few short sessions and I feel confident that I’ll...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 90% of us can’t do this.

Derek Trucks won't even look at the audience for an entire show, yet the man blesses everyone in attendance.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: rare guitar and mandolin combo on Ebay

Proof Positive that
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

Two weeks ago I took over custody of my Grandfather's mandolin. Research on the mandolin database dates it as 1906 A Jr. Very small pickguard, inlayed into the top, and a very low 1-piece bridge....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

One band that may not have been mentioned is the Henhouse Prowlers. Definitely worth a listen. R/
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Steep Canyon Rangers, with or without Steve Martin.
    The SteelDrivers
    Town Mountain
    Balsam Range

Lots of other good suggestions above, as well…
  25. Replies
    Views

Stradolin comparison

Just made a short video comparing my two Strad-O-Lins. Definitely not a pro setup, but at least this should give folks a basic idea of the early and later models.

https://youtu.be/nj6hgIwXWSY
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4