Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa Gathering 2023

I'll be there...my 10th time, I believe.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Trying to identify an old pick

Your pick does look kind look of like a Dunlop Primetone Semi-Round, but Dunlop does not make a Primetone Semi-Round Smooth in black, in several thicknesses, today. I do not know if they did in the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece help

Violins have a saddle, usually made of ebony, inlaid into the top or the rib to keep the tail gut from compressing the edge of the rib and to distribute the string load to the tail button..

If you...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Identifying a Case

It's made by TKL. It very likely is the case that came with the instrument from Ellis.
  5. Re: how to rip binding strips from celluloid sheet stock

https://www.micromark.com/Wood-Strip-Cutter
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Audio on Sessions.org!

Do you mean https://thesession.org/?
  7. Re: Modern case options for teens Gibson A models

I have found the only modern cases that fit, unless you want to order a Calton or remove the accessory compartment from a case, are the TKL Arch-top A-5 cases. I have a 1917 A-1.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: the key of Ab on a 5-string ?

Five strings?!?

Try 114 strings!

https://youtu.be/xDRv_6TZsJ4
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Pinched Nerves and Hand Tremor?

I have a stenosis in my neck. Ultimately physical therapy eased the symptoms, but it did initially cause involuntary movements, which could be described as tremors, and weakness, as well as nerve...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: recommend me an acoustic bass

The Ernie Ball Earthwood Bass is the best sounding acoustic bass guitar I have ever heard without amplification. They are the size of a guitarron with a 34" scale fretted neck.

Conversely, a...
  11. Re: i think this would be such a cool tune to play on mandolin

Based on his finger and bowing, and his sound, I believe he may be tuned down a whole step to FCGD.

He seems to be playing an Eb with the first finger on the highest string, in half position.
  12. Re: How to clean and polish Varnish on my New Pava Pro

What do you hope to accomplish with polish?

The Tru-Oil is applied to be able to buff the instrument long before the Epifanes varnish is hard enough. I don't know that it adds any durability. I...
  13. Re: How to clean and polish Varnish on my New Pava Pro

Unless something has recently changed, varnished instruments out of the Ellis shop are finished in Epifanes Clear Varnish with Tru-Oil over that. Josh Lutrell does the finishing on both the Ellis and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Little Rock Getaway - Dave Peters

Keeping in mind that Johnny tuned in mandola tuning, he had to play in position to reach the notes you are playing on the E string.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Newbie: Advice Needed!

A popular "jamming" activity at CMSA is sight reading sessions, so bringing your mandolin orchestra arrangements is a great idea. CMSA has a number of tunes they usually bring out, too.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A Prairie Jewel

John is putting out a book of transcriptions in the next month or so. The transcriptions were started by John McGann and have been completed by David Benedict. John has said he will announce the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

Open string harmonics at the twelfth fret.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin week of July 26?

Collings has shop tours on most Fridays. Check out http://www.collingsguitars.com/Tour/entrance.html.

You can contact Tom Ellis directly through the Cafe (he is Ellisppi) and ask him about...
  19. Re: a strings in tune but have different tones to my ear

Adjust them to be in tune to your ear. I can hear the difference between two notes that are a couple of cents apart even though all my clip-on tuners say the strings are in tune. The difference is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Review of IV Hide Glue Warming Kit

$98.