Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: ISO standard for musical instruments

Mass produced instruments would really benefit from uniform standards (scale length, tuner post spacing and gauge, tail piece screw spacing, etc). One at a time shop builders can do what they want....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

Bluegrass musicians use the tune to show off their musicianship. Old Time musicians use their musicianship to show off the tune.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Scotland Mandolin Holiday

I think there would be interest. Getting away from everyday life for a few days to focus on music is a common paradigm for workshops; and the combination with the great outdoors works for the many...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Scotland Mandolin Holiday

I have been toying quite seriously with the idea of offering a mandolin /farming/culture /scenery type of stay at my farmhouse in the Scottish Highlands.

What would people hope to get out of such...
  5. Thread: Capo?

by Mandobart
    Replies
    Views

Re: Capo?

The reason I choose not to use a capo is, as stated before, it further limits an already short neck on the mandolin. In the case of moving a song from G to A, it's pretty easy to just play the song...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick-up advice please

This comes up so often.... but... if you are using a K&K/JJB Piezo and plunging into a SUITABLE ACOUSTIC AMPLIFIER there should be no reason at all that any other preamp is required. The Fishman...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Character over practice?

I dunno.

When I think of the hundreds of times I have seen musicians playing with their eyes closed, clearly 'away' with the music, I simply cannot believe that they are not expressing themselves...
  8. Thread: Nut Files

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Files

I know more about guitars than mandolins when it comes to nuts but with larger gauge strings like on a guitar a "V" shaped slot can cause the strings to bind in the nut and cause tuning problems. A...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

As does the music itself:cool: It may just be me,but some of those guys that hang out on the session forum seem to take themselves a wee bit serious sometimes.
    FWiW I remember my great-grandfather...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Spare hardware for hiscox case

Best customer service EVER. I already loved my Hiscox, now I worship the company!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

It's certainly not tremolo in the Italian sense, but at the same time it's not just single notes either.
    As I say, it seems to me to be a sort of 'slow tremolo'. But it may not be tremolo at all,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo number of notes

Yeah, tremolo isn't really about rules of timing, in terms of doing X number of passes per quarter note or whatever. Some instructors will suggest starting with a measured/metered tremolo to get the...
  13. Replies
    Views

fare-thee-well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPmZIKP-2Aw&feature=youtu.be

:mandosmiley:
  14. Re: Interview with Rory Dowling of Taran on new "Springwell" mand

http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/news/springwells-away
  15. Re: Interview with Rory Dowling of Taran on new "Springwell" mand

Here's the individual mandolins being played for comparison, though it is hard to separate them, in truth.
    These had only just been strung up, and never played, so it was a real thrill to play them...
  16. Interview with Rory Dowling of Taran on new "Springwell" mandolin

Here is an interview/chat about the first of the Taran "Springwell" mandolins completed by Rory Dowling recently, with three comparison sets of tunes. Hope it is of interest!

17. Re: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Hello all!

I received my Springwell in beautiful cocobolo and spruce here in Cork Ireland yesterday. Amazing!! Hers some pics

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/3gaRjRmSv2M
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Headed to Ireland - Bring the mando?

So, having spent almost 3 weeks in Ireland, I feel like I can begin to answer my own question. I have to say first of all that it was an outstanding time, with lots of good food, drink, wonderful...
  19. Replies
    Views

Rich Delgrosso in Blues Blast Magazine

Saw an article on Rich Delgrosso in the April 28th issue of Blues Blast magazine.
    Enjoyed it and thought I'd give everyone a heads-up.
    Only wish there was more coverage of blues mando around. Love...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: cross picking challenge

i surrender ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRFzpt0rp_E
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking the language of folk mandolin

It's just an example of how indefinable musical genres are. The moment you fix a definition will be the moment somebody pushes the boundaries. Even the simplest distinction between classical and folk...
  22. Replies
    Views

Pradipto sengupta

Hi,
    This is my very first post. I Pradipto sengupta stay in Mumbai, India. I am playing mandolin since 35 years. Actually mandolin mainly plays in the Indian film songs recording. Basically there...
  23. Replies
    Views

Peter Abnett Retires

I notice that Peter's name has come up regularly in these fora, and his instruments have generally been highly regarded.

I thought this might be a good place and time to let the community know...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Marla Fibish Video on PegHead Nation

The old f-hole vs oval hole debate and even a pick choice debate are completely overrated IMO, and they stand out in connection with this video only because it is possible to talk about them. What is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Tonerite (fact or fiction)

Repeating myself here - if the Tonerite works, it does nothing what extensive playing of your mandolin wouldn't do as well: make the whole thing vibrate. So -
    - you pay for an instrument in order...
Page 1 of 2 1 2