Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Just a heads up to the OP - we don't call them "jam sessions" over here, just sessions (ye might get a funny look if you walked in somewhere and asked if they had "jam sessions" there ), also...
  2. The Kindness of Strangers - Aidan Crossey

As some will know, Aidan Crossey has had some major health issues recently. Today he was taken into hospital for tests and possible surgery. (Not confidential information - he announced it on the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn

Here we go…backup track is me on mandolin.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=212028&d=1707334206
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn

One more time…

The Humours of Glynn

I’m sorry, I give up.
  5. Re: Northfield Bourgeois Eastman 815-V Head to Head

I don't have any experience with Bourgeois but my Big Mon is my lifer. I haven't enjoyed the Eastman's I've played as much as I expected or wanted to but I think I'm a little biased towards...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

https://youtu.be/2PM3uCShlk4?si=5VtiAnZV14FwsELh
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

If you have HULU you can stream Crock of Gold, a great documentary with Shane. It's really a well done piece. I first learned of the Pogues in the early mid 80s with Rum Sodomy and the Lash. Great...
  8. Ye Vagabonds, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh. Great video

This is magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VKks9Ka2ZU
  9. Replies
    Views

The Humours of Glynn (waltz)

At the request of a friend, I decided to revisit this waltz I originally learned from John Carty while I was studying at the University of Limerick. Here's my solo version of the tune, performed on a...
  10. Today's tune: The Unquiet Grave, aka Star of the County Down

Here a lovely little melody that I was playing around with this morning. This tune has been reused and repurposed so many times I wasn't even sure what to put as the title. Anyway, I thought it...
  11. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

A quick note about some changes which I've recently made to my youtube channel - http://youtube.com/TheIrishMandolin

Users of the channel may be aware that I have categorised the tune learning...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun case?

I got one because I'm taking my Calhoun on a road trip later this month. It's a snug fit, but that's better than rattling around in the Crossrock it came with. I hate the big plastic clamps, but they...
  13. Re: What do Famous Musicians Recommend about Practicing?

“Best Practice” Inspiration and Ideas for Traditional Musicians by Judy Minot
    Absolutely the best book I have ever read! Lots of advice on practicing and playing.
    Music, as well as all of life,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

No need to go to Facebook, folks. Colin's YouTube channel also features his output. See https://www.youtube.com/@colinbotts
  15. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Ed...

I've been giving your post some thought over a coffee this morning.

All of these tunes have been around for a long time - even a tune like the Stack Of Rye which was, in the scheme of...
  16. Drawing from the Well - ITMA interview with Frankie Gavin

Although not strictly mandolin related, I've seen numerous posts about Gavin on the cafe, and indeed his highly influential band, De Dannan.

This recently posted interview, presented by ITMA...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

When watching stuff on the TG4 Player there should be a wee square icon down in the lower right hand side of the screen that will allow you to get subtitles in english - just a heads up that it...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

Yes, in the Humours of Glynn video Diarmuid is playing the Frank Tate mandolin and Brían is playing the Kevin O'Brien one. The show was fantastic! That's the second time I've seen them this year -...
  19. Replies
    Views

traditional post cards from Belfast

really enjoyed these short little stories of local Belfast musicals , everyone of them is superb , great to see the belfast tradfest going from strength to strength

20. Replies
    Views

Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder "Hooray Hooray"

Looks like Taj and Ry recorded a new album after 50 years.....

RxvORYMCppw
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

Learning the tunes beforehand makes it way easier to jump in, 'twould be way less nerve racking than trying to keep up with other players if ye don't know the tune well yet. The website below is a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your favorite mandolin resources?

My favorite mandolin resource is this whole site. Everything you need to know is known by someone here, and likely there are two or three threads about it and a home made chart or two.

Really,...