Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Yea, I don't know. Usually this is an excellent mindset. But to be honest with myself, I learn the picking when I learn the tune. So yea I play mostly DUDU, but that is because it is what the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter w/ Godin A8 anyone?

Zakly!
  3. Thread: Love for Ovals

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I have played a Collings MTO, trying it out. At Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg VA, if I remember right. I fell in love with it immediately. But alas I had a bit too much impulse control concurrent...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick selection time: And the survey says……

Or, to achieve similar tonal improvements through expensive luthier modifications.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

Absolutely correct, sadly. :crying: Because I find it much easier to to get a good hat than to get good at the mandolin.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: musical notation question

My goodness, isn't this the way its supposed to be? The break is supposed to be an improvisation in response to the energy in the room and the inspiration of the moment, not a collection of memorized...
  7. Thread: Arpeggios

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

That is a very powerful technique, and a ton of fun. I learned arpeggio shapes "keyed" to one finger. Put that finger on a note, and one can play the major and minor arpeggio for that note. I use my...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone enjoy playing fingerstyle? Downsides?

My favorite Kenny Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=DTU4_Apvplw

Anyone who thinks that is not mandolinning will have to deal with me first. :grin:
  9. Replies
    Views

Some negativity is inevitable in these kinds of discussions. I know I have to overcome an initial pang or two. I know, in my case, it is a twinge of anger.

For all of us, our mandolin skills are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

No it doesn't. But really many of us are no longer trying to get closer and closer to the holy grail with each mandolin purchase. It is more that as we play more and more and get involved in all...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

There are straps for bowlbacks? Oh, ... never mind. :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Yes we have all heard our heroes, Chris Thile, Jacob Reuven, Avi Avital, etc., but lets not forget to include one of my all time favorites Carlo Aonzo. And if he doesn't inspire one to play a bowl,...
  13. Thread: Musician Jokes

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

My nephew asked me, many years ago, "Uncle Jeff why do you play mandolin? Isn't that something musicians do?"
  14. Thread: Upgrade?

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade?

My view is that from the second mandolin on, one should spend as much as reasonably can be spent. Get a forever mandolin. As if you are never going to get another. Denial is important here.

Get...
  15. Thread: Speed Bevels

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Bevels

A pick made of that substance found in the nature would, naturally, wear over time and provide the kind of bevel your playing would make. In my case right handed. With these virtually indestructible...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Sobell 5 course mandolin

Beautiful!
  17. Replies
    Views

If you include the whole world, I would guess that maybe half of the mandolins being played are bowls. Maybe a little less as of late as bluegrass inexorably takes over the world. There are many who...
  18. Replies
    Views

Bowls are extremely fun. I play a Washburn bowlback, circa turn of the last century. Very loud, without sacrificing scintillating tone. It only plays delicate if you back off a bit.

I use it is...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas Day in the Morning

Sweet very nice.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

For my gigs this month:

21. Replies
    Views

Bingo. And he did wondrous things that way.

I play with a lot of tremolo. Too much maybe. It is such a mandolinny thing to do. I cannot think of how tremolo would be done fingerstyle.

My...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

So I have "lucked out". Many years ago (many squared years, since it has been many years since the last time I told this story), I purchased a Gibson 1923 A2 snakehead.

I didn't know what I had...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT2 vs large bodied Sobell

I would guess the Sobell would excel traditional Irish and Scottish music. And maybe maybe excel to such an extent that it is kind of optimized for trad, and perhaps not optimal for other kinds of...
  24. Thread: Open Tuning

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Open Tuning

I have experimented with calico tuning, AEAC#. Very interesting sound. It makes an A major chord when strummed open.

I had a collection of tunes written in various popular cross tunings, including...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What flavor Bluechip should I try?

I believe that having a participatory relationship with music, at what ever level, has such gigantic benefits and adds so much to life and being alive. So many life lessons, so many insights, so many...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4