Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: In search of a mandolin...

LOL - add to the mix that the relationship to an instrument evolves and changes the longer you own it!
  2. Replies
    Views

This analogy makes me blush, having acquired so many instruments in less than a year :redface::mandosmiley:
  3. Replies
    Views

My friend, you are going straight into the deep end. Considering you are just starting out and are expecting to make a healthy investment, i think you would be well served by considering getting...
  4. Replies
    Views

A Northfield Big Mon has it all. You'd find a used one under $4000 and if after a couple of years you felt you wanted a change, you would not lose a lot of money. You would probaby get your money...
  5. Replies
    Views

Great advice ! This is what I did in making a trip to Gruhn's in Nashville ! Played many mandolins from less expensive to very expensive. I found that there are less expensive instruments that...
  6. Replies
    Views

You might post a wanted ad for a Bob Schneider hybrid...based on your original post. Spruce played one on his Mangler of Bluegrass record.
  7. Replies
    Views

Two other aspects of the best mandolins I have played are sustain and projection. I think this is similar to violins.
  8. Replies
    Views

You should definitely try before you buy!

While they're not vintage, I'd recommend that you check out Pava, Old Wave and Silverangel. I took a trip to Carter's a while back and these were the ones...
  9. Replies
    Views

I agree 100%. It is subjective for everyone. Ears and fingers will solve the quest, not price tag.
  10. Replies
    Views

I have stumbled upon a really interesting thread that CMChaney started. I think I understand his pallete of tones he is seeking in a mandolin.

If you have a really nice Italian-made violin then...
  11. Replies
    Views

LOL. Thanks, Jim, but I think sometimes it's really "re-joisting" in some cases.:crying:
  12. Replies
    Views

Mary: I know it was a typo but I love the concept of "rejoicing" a fiddle. Very poetic!
  13. Replies
    Views

After struggling with the tone on some pretty pricey violins I finally bought a 5 string violin that the guy who does my fiddle work was building (from scratch, not rejoicing a Chinese-made...
  14. Replies
    Views

These are very helpful comments. With instruments in the top half of your price range and beyond, magnificence is in the ear of the beholder, and you clearly are dialed in to the subtleties of tone....
  15. Replies
    Views

+1 for the Heiden, I played one against a Gilchrist and a Monteleon and the Heiden made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It haunts me to this day. For 10K you should be able to get an A...
  16. Replies
    Views

I also come from the violin and fiddle background. Like you, I really never found the sound on mandolin until I got into the much better instruments. I think it's really interesting to hear you say...
  17. Replies
    Views

If you are drawn to the vintage market I might suggest clicking on the Classified tab and searching Bob Page. He always has a great variety of vintage mandolins for sale on the cafe and has many more...
  18. Replies
    Views

I will throw my 2 cents worth in and suggest you have a look at a Duff. Paul is a great Luthier and his mandolins are to die for. Just sayin’ Cheers
  19. Replies
    Views

So, I believe that you will settle in on an A-5 or F-5 depending on the maker. Personally the one maker who makes amazing sounding mandolins to my ears that I think would fill the bill for you is...
  20. Replies
    Views

That's enough to tell me what I need to know! LOL I was a violinist before I found the mandolin. Good instruments are expensive for a reason. You're going to need that $10k. People tend to...
  21. Replies
    Views

I must have missed this part of the first post:

I think I was recommending mandolins based on your mention of classical music and missed the key part of the latter end of that sentence.

I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Excellent suggestion!!!
  23. Replies
    Views

Often a mandolin will sound a good bit different to the listener out front vs to the person playing. Also, an experienced player will get a different range of tones from a mandolin than a less...
  24. Replies
    Views

I would recommend that you get somewhat familiar with the impact of the pick's thickness, material, point shape, and bevel (or lack there of) on the tone and "feel" of a mandolin. To me this impact...
  25. Replies
    Views

How much did you pay for your violin? I have a feeling you will need to be solidly in the $10k range to get what you're looking for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2