Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

Bach's, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. I played it on violin, but mandolin would've definitely worked. Not as tuff as one would think.
    Oh yes, and Having My Baby. :grin:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando or banjo

"Y'know learning the banjers no picnic. It's one solid weekend of hard work!"
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Rollin My Sweet Babies Arms, the first change goes to the 5, so I,V, IV. Pete Wernick (dr. Banjo)has printable sheets of 2 and 3 chord Bluegrass & Folky tune titles.

The solution is to test the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

Memorizing isn't a bad thing. You're finding out how much one needs to rehearse what you already play. Eventually, you get so you "know" how to play the instrument enough. Tunes have brothers,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

I think Robert Craft said, All things in moderation, and moderation's the first thing to go.
  6. Re: Is it true that Frank Wakefield can talk backwards?

"Do you want me to kick this one off, or should I start it?"
    or, "What key of Bb should we play this one?"
    There's millions more.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Pete Wernick, of Hotrize wrote a book, years ago, How to Make a Band Work. Everything, literally everything was considered. One thing stuck out to me. The last thing the MC says should be the name of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Not just just black Bluesmen. The enigmatic Chuck Berry, had to have 10k in a paper sack.
    Food for a song: "Johnny B. Who? Never heard of him. Not til I get paid."
  9. Re: Should one learn mandolin/mandola before tenor banjo/guitar?

My friend's only problem with the dola, is the scale length. If one is hip to the interval pattern, finding the note is quite intuitive. It's just a matter of reaching it. Why not fiddle?
    Makes me...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

For some reason I'm notorious for being a day late. But this is where I sussed out how to play progressions in different keys: http://jazzmando.com/ffcp_studies.shtml
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson Turns 90

The whole time I'm thinking, why Hollywood Bowl? Why not Austin, or Abbott or . . . .?
  12. Re: Best way to learn to play Smooth and Clean (not sloppy)?

I hate to say it but, sheer hours. I know because my chops fell apart. I drifted to other instruments. I won't say "pros," but I will call them good pickers. They practice not enough to play it...
  13. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I learned to read notation 50 years ago. I use chord theory 10 times as much today. To chart out songs/tunes with Nashville numbers is very handy.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

3 pages of, "Go for it!"
    It's my sworn duty as a Cafe member to say, " Yes! Get the Mandolin!"
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Mandolins You’ve Owned

I've got one those MK models that have a story here on the Cafe. They're not intended to be all that high-end/level, but the more I play it the better it sounds. I leave my "better" Eastman in the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

In addition to "wrap & poke." Mind where the little hole (in the tuning post/peg) is oriented. It prevents one from ramming a string into one's thumb.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger style mandolin

It makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. I play banjer bare fingered, same for guitar. They won't let me near fingerpicks. Not after the nosebleed incident. :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about Wernick Method Jam Camp

I can't state this enough: Don't wait until you're good enough. You grow and get better by playing with others.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Chord based solos, Monroe method?

I've got the homespun dvds, but I'd reiterate, Mike Compton is thee Monroe style guy.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Have tips for a songwriting course?

Sir Paul McCartney said something like, "I knew it was good enough if I could remember it enough to bring it to the others."
    Not necessarily a complete song but a kernel. This really stuck in my...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Have tips for a songwriting course?

I once lurcked in a songwriters forum. The answer is to not hangout in songwriters forums. The answer is to demystify the mystery. To treat a song like a box. A thing. There's very little difference...
  22. Re: Cheap beater mandolins that play, for leaving in the car etc?

Did someone say, Rogue!? I've had a couple forever. Maybe fifty bucks for one. The other was like thirty. It was a blem. Sure I've got a couple other better mandolins, but it's amazing how...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's hear your BEST musical joke?

Laughed out loud on the bassist joke!
    Because I just learned to play the bass (the instrument not the fish) recently.
    It's no picnic.
    It was a solid weekend of hard work.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's hear your BEST musical joke?

I don't know any musician jokes, just drummer jokes.
  25. Re: Remember that $199 MK mandolin from years ago?

What an enigma. I just enjoyed reading most of that thread. I think i just figured something out. I feel much less guilty not playing my MK, than if I had an F5G.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4