Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: A vs F style

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: A vs F style

I prefer the F over the A purely for looks. I had the money so I got the Eastman 515 instead of the 505. No regrets
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

If you don’t like Eastman, don’t buy an Eastman. Fairly simple.

Like the above poster said, if they were not well made and designed, no one would buy Eastman. Why would I, a musician of 45 years,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

To each their own. You find the nut width impossible to play, I find it easier to play than a wider nut.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: To Pinkie or Not Pinkie is my Question

Pickin Redwing, old Joe Clark, Some Glad Morning, I’ll fly away and a few other tunes. That pinky of mine making life easier and the tunes faster. The answer to my question is clear. Not using my...
  5. Replies
    Views

The teacher in question is an accomplished musician on the fiddle and gutair. A fiddler friend recommended him. Towards the end of the lesson he said he really wasn’t a mandolin player, can play the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Using four fingers is what I’ve gotten use to and I am working on playing without looking at my hands. Going to three fingers would mess me up in that regard. Using four fingers makes sense. I’m...
  7. Replies
    Views

To Pinkie or Not Pinkie is my Question

Been playing for over a year and a half and doing well. Comfortable jamming with friends.

My first teacher had me use all four fingers when picking or reading tabs. Pinkie was weak but got...
  8. Thread: Arizona visit

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arizona visit

I visited the MS last August when visiting my brother in law who lives 90 minutes away from the store. Easy to find, wonderful place. Not much to it. Two guys with nothing better to do than let you...
  9. Thread: Tab vs ear

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

i agree. Observation. Those who play by ear can, in some cases master notation. I tried and had very minor success. Mrs5150 took up bass and got half way decent. Playing at church requires...
  10. Thread: Tab vs ear

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

As a musician of many decades, I can say there are basically two types of musicians. Those that play by ear and memory, but can't really read music all that well (me) and those who can play reading...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your favorite blues keys?

G,E,D, A. But that's on my sax.

Starting to experiment with the mandolin.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable mandolins for the playing professional

Well OK, it is poor form to knock a musician's instrument. But since I found your post on the previous page, I'll speak my mind. When I retired, I thought it would fun to take up a third instrument....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable mandolins for the playing professional

As a mandolin player I am an advanced beginner. As a flute and sax player Not so much. 45 years on the flute and 20 on the alto sax. I can assure that if given a student level sax or flute made by a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Selling a Mandolin

Listed my The Loar 520 here. Nothing. Listed it on eBay, sold in three days. I think the audience on the Mandolin Cafe is too limited compared to eBay.
  15. Replies
    Views

Yet another "I gots a new mandolin thread"

Perhaps this thread is more about the importance of demoing before you buy regardless of the item, if you possibly can. Be it bikes, skis, cars or musical instruments. My flute and sax were both...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How to be a Classicial Musician

This is great video series. First introduced to; How to be a skier. How to be a mountain biker. Funny and pointed! A line from the mtn biker one is so true. There are three sizes of mtn wheels, 26,...
  17. Thread: Musically Stuck

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musically Stuck

I've found nothing works better than playing with other people.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar 520 vs Loar 600 for beginner/intermediate

I have to be honest. As an owner of a 520, if I had to do it over again I would have gone with the 600. This was my first mandolin and I bought based on Internet recommendations. Nearest real...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow. My Mandolin changed

Oops! I think the bridge/saddle is shifting.

Note the relation of the saddle to the F holes. Plus the varnish is dulled on the right side indicating that side has moved forward a bit.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow. My Mandolin changed

When playing. Just happens once each time I played it. Happened each last eight times I played. Weird. Nothing split or separated. Yea, I have some concern. But nothing is changing structure wise.i
  21. Thread: Pick Guards

by Mr5150
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Guards

Thanks, I just did and found useful stuff.

But I suppose there would be 90% less threads and 95% less discussion if each question was only allowed to be asked once or twice.

On other forums...