Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Mark, that's the procedure I've been doing for several months. I love it., and it's supported by a huge amount of research on optimum learning. I use 5-min. intervals instead of 3-min.

Another...
  2. Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

I'm fine with "mando". Also with "mandocello", "sax","uke","keys", "vibes", and "synth".

But don't call me "Chris".
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Look at Fingerboard,or Not?

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. Ironically, my avatar photo shows me performing with eyes closed!
  4. Replies
    Views

Look at Fingerboard,or Not?

Is looking a lot at the fingerboard: (a) OK, or (b) to be minimized, or, (c) as in so many questions on the Cafe, "it all depends"?

I'm taking Matt Flinner's double-stop course, and consequently...
  5. Re: ID Mandolin Player with Steve Goodman 1976

I looked this up in Clay Eals's detailed biography, Steve Goodman:Facing the Music. It appears to be Lew London, described in the book as an "Atlantic City mandolin /dobro player." Here he's...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Strum Machine vs Tunefox

I agree 100% with the 3 previous replies. I use Strum Machine every day.

I looked briefly at Tunefox; seems like it tries to teach tunes/songs by means of melody audio tracks plus moving tab. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Richard Durrant Tenor Course?

I decided to check out the course myself, using his free 7-day trial version.

Bottom Line: I can't recommend it to anyone reading this. It's clearly designed for someone who has never played an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Richard Durrant Tenor Course?

https://www.richarddurrantacademy.com/courses/quick-start-tenor-guitar
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: App for naming chords?

You are correct, Mark.
  10. Replies
    Views

A John Dowland Lute Piece.

Discussed by one of YouTube's most popular music analysts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDbj2OvSwI
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Paypal

I asked my wife, an experienced and licensed tax preparer, for her comments. Her advice:

"First, Card Payment and Third-Party Networks are indeed required to report aggregate payments greater...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

No. I'd describe what I play as "Americana", which includes bluegrass, classic country, and singer-songwriter, as well as blues. The relative distribution of these various genres depends on the...
  13. Re: Anyone else have no players near them?

To tmsweeney--We "are there yet" for real time online jamming!

I jam every day with JamKazam. With folks all over the country, as well as Canada and even Europe. Various genres--bluegrass,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin advice

I had a Pono, ended up selling it. Just didn't feel right. Now I play baritone ukes tuned GDAE. (One has all-metal strings.) GDAE tenor guitars are another option.

In my experience,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear training apps

I've used a number of ear training apps, some free, some purchased. Some of them have you click or tap on your device to respond. I've found this not too helpful, because you never do this while...
  16. Re: Left Hand Form When Playing Ukelele Tuned in Fifths.

I have a CGDA tenor uke. I just use the same fingerings as a mando. Never noticed anything special about my left hand; I guess it's basically the same form as with mando.

I also have a couple of...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: We need songs for these times

Like many of you, I've been spending WAY too much time staring at a screen, trying to keep up with the latest news. So here's my parody of a Johnny Cash classic:

I Stay Online

I keep a close...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: GDAE steel string Baritone ukulele

I tried the TIs in Granger's recommended gauges on my Pono MB model bari, and I love the result. Nice crisp and loud but balanced sound, much more guitar-ish. Great for finderpicking, strumming, or...
  19. Re: This Week's Mandolin Playing Epiphany

I finally got a response from Matt Flinner about his "Rock & Roll Mando" course:

"I haven't opened the [archived] courses up to the general public yet---only to past students thus far. But I'm...
  20. Re: This Week's Mandolin Playing Epiphany

By "archived, I didn't mean you can find it here at the Cafe.

What I meant is that it isn't one of his currently interactive "live" courses. But I was able to buy the original video lessons,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

I tried sblock's technique last night. It works! "Wrap, then poke" was at least twice as fast as my usual "poke, then wind" approach. And with no worry about the loops slipping off the tailpiece...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The great guitar break that wasn't!

Thanks to everyone for educating me about the history of bluegrass guitar breaks.

Rowen still looks awfully pained and frustrated in this particular performance. Maybe he was just having a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Books to Read?

"Fiddler's Dream"
    My favorite fiction about a musician, written by the fiddler in John Reischman's band.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Back up rhythm tracks

I also love Strum Machine. I use it every day.

You can change key or speed instantly. Unlike the slow-down programs I've used, the track always sounds like an normal acoustic guitar, even at...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: So few women

I agree many of the folks posting here that any gender bias may be a regional or local phenomenon.

Here in Oregon, the president the Oregon Bluegrass Association is a women. In gatherings of...
Page 1 of 2 1 2