Views

Re: Chords

I'm wrong.:)
  2. Thread: Chords

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

If the Cafe actually was that bad, I wouldn't be posting at all.

Fortunately, as you point out, there is enough mandolin material for all of us.

However - my impression of the posts,...
  3. Thread: Chords

by Mandoplumb
    Replies
    Views

Teak, yes I play bluegrass but having the 4finger chord in your tool box is not a bluegrass thing although it is used more in bluegrass. My question is how would being able to use a 4note or four...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

I have a son who is a professional jazz bassist and conservatory student, and this was very much his first teacher’s philosophy. For six years, the primary question was always “What do you hear...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

I've noted (e.g., in YouTube videos) that beginners are much too anxious to play the right notes over each single chord so that they all but lose direction and flow and rhythmic interest. I believe...
  6. Bruce and Sons Stringed Instruments near Omaha, NE

I just have to give some props to Micah Bruce of Bruce and Sons Stringed Instruments. I was badly in need of a setup and was hoping to get some other work done and a local shop (where I bought my...
  7. Thread: Reruns from there

by Dr H
    Replies
    Views

Reruns from there

Okay, I think I gave Chris Thile's radio show a fair chance. I liked him as a musician and technician, and had been a long time fan of PHC, so I hung in there. I tried to like the show; I really...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ideas for a Hymn Project

I worked out a ragtime version of Leaning on the Everlasting Arms if you're interested.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Impress Your Friends

If you want to clear a room, I'm your man.
  10. Thread: Minneapolis

by jelhai
    Replies
    Views

Re: Minneapolis

Just yesterday an article appeared in the Star Tribune about Quinn's, a newer guitar retailer. Also check out Twin Town Guitars.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Open Jams

Thanks Teak. The Note Gallery Open Jam is now pinned to the map in Old Time Open Jams face book group. Do you have the details for the Whitney Music jam as well?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Open Jams

Jim Garber, just post the info for a jam on the Old Time Open Jams feed and either me, or the other two admins will pin it to the map with location, date, time and contact info. Or you can just tell...
  13. Thread: Parkerisms

by Tom Wright
    Replies
    Views

Re: Parkerisms

Can't pass up this riff which I'm sure Parker used: The Lick, as seen on TV (YouTube, that is).

Here it is in use---watch for my favorite jazz violinist Zach Brock showing up at 0:30.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden string choices

I've been happy with D'Add. Nickel-Bronze 11-40 recently on my Heiden. Sound good to me and seem to last better than J74s for me.
    Currently trying the Monels, but I suspect that I'll return to N-B...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman videos from RockyGrass

He told a story about that at the show. He said he played it with Stephane Grappelli in Dm, sort of accidentally, the first time he met him. And played it AABA, instead of Grappelli's original ABAB,...
  16. The new Ranger Travel mandolin from the bike trail...

I was out on The Trail of the Coeur D'Alene's bike trail in North Idaho today for a 60 mile bike ride and brought my new Ranger Travel Mandolin made by Bruce and Mary Weber of Montana Lutherie.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The Glamour of Being a Big Mandolin Star

I was in a "band" once that agreed to play a free show at a cafe that was hoping to get into being more of a music venue.

When we got there, there was no where for us to play. The manager said he...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Glamour of Being a Big Mandolin Star

I played a fair one time where a garbage can was placed next to the stage . . . so naturally, half-way through my set, a garbage truck pulls up, parks directly in front of the stage, and starts...
  19. Replies
    Views

The Glamour of Being a Big Mandolin Star

Played a Wino Festival on Saturday. As I was backing my truck up to unload ,out of the corner of my eye, caught large mahogany sphere with a thin blue strip of material in the center of it. Took...
  20. Re: Pick weight (thickness, size, whatever the term is)

This is my favorite:

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/512r-7-10137-07722-5.do

I've tried a whole lot of others including some of the high end picks, and still like this the best.The grip is...
  21. Thread: Che Apalache

by Oren
    Replies
    Views

Re: Che Apalache

So cool! I love it when forms and cultures get mixed and "creole-ized".
  22. Replies
    Views

Che Apalache

Interesting band from Buenos Aires using bluegrass instruments to play Latin music.

I don't know them but like this video and heard from a Baltimore old time and bluegrass email I subscribe to.
  23. and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

short history on this man. years ago I was in black mountain, nc. this was long before I ever attempted to make musical notes on anything. black mountain, nc is a mountain top very small town. 2...
  24. Lesson: Targeting thirds in major and minor II V I progressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1lL0vhVJXo&feature=youtu.be

The PDF file that I refer to is here: 169129

Have fun!:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Black Piccolo Mandolin Build

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4