Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Black returneth once more as an A2

Wait just a minute! Pat has an awesome A2Z, but this A4 will always be "The Black". :cool:146770

2. Replies
    Views

Re: your mandolin ownership history

I want to enter the running for "quickest to insanity". I have to be close to most mandolins in the shortest period of time, though nowhere near the overall title. My first mandolin was a Fender...
  3. Thread: Neck Relief

by jclover
    Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Relief

I just purchased a Weber Absaroka that has setup #2. Very disappointing, as it was advertised with a recent setup by a luthier I had heard of, so I expected better. The mandolin buzzes on the first...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What B.C. Picks have you tried?

I first bought a CT55 and TD35, both with right hand bevel. Do not care for the CT55 much, but the TD35 was pretty good. Still used my Wegen Bluegrass at 1mm and 1.4mm a bit more often. Then I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: sound port on the side

And his mandolins aint bad either! :))

Sorry, I had to do it.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: sound port on the side

Here is the sound port on my Black A4:

The mandolin is loud for both player and listener. Plus, it is a great view of the Virzi!

I have seen round sound ports. Can't remember where,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: My (New to me) Ellis A5!

Congrats TEvans! I just received my 2010 (#199) today and am very pleased. Sugar maple on this one.

8. Re: How does the Gibson F-9 compare to the Gibson F-5G?

I have an F-9, but have not been able to compare it directly to an F5G. One of the differences that has not been mentioned is that the current F-9 uses rosewood for the bridge and fretboard instead...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: That Wonderful Collings Aroma (???)

Haha! So glad you posted about this, maybe I am not crazy. As the previous owner of this particular Collings MT-O, my very first thread on the cafe was about how good it smelled. I wondered if...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Newb here: Appreciate Your Opinions

It is not cheaper to buy a cheap instrument if you already know you are serious about the mandolin and can afford better. The cheap instrument will be money wasted, unless you plan to keep it as a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin on sound quality merits only

Now, he did say he could save for a $1K+ mandolin. Not saying I don't suggest the occasional ham sandwhich, it is hard to resist! In this case however, most suggestions have been pretty reasonable,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: From Sea: An original collaboration

I thought it was great, thanks for sharing. Congrats to Astro and Old Sausage on a job very well done.
  13. Replies
    Views

Can someone name that tune?

Can anyone tell me the name of this song? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbxvxV3ybo&spfreload=10
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Number of employees at Gibson mandolin division

I have a new F9 and a flashlight, so I decided to see if Adrian is right. IMO, he is. It is pretty clearly machine routed, has about a 1/4" step near the neck, and slightly less but still very...
  15. Re: Screaming good deal on an A2 snakehead in Orlando! Underprice

I also have zero sympathy for a "professional" who makes a deal and then decides to break it for the sake of greed. He made a deal with an acceptable profit margin and then broke it to try and make...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice blonde Summit with a 1 piece back

I am not surprised. Very well done David.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What do the stars mean?

Haha! My first thread got one-starred and after I figured out what that meant, I admit it annoyed me. With a little assistance from journeybear, I got over it. :cow:
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's The Oldest?

You still have teeth? :grin:
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Red Diamond AO

Haha! I completely understand where you are coming from. In fact, there was a recent thread with questions about Ellis and Red Diamond mandolins where I posted the availability of this mandolin. I...
  20. Re: Things this forum has done for you in ways you didn't expect!

I love the cafe, but hate what has happened to my bank account due to acute MAS.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Some more Ellis vs Red Diamond F Questions

Ha! I was so focused on the oval holes, I did not even notice that. Guess that is as close to awesome as I will ever be, so I am going to enjoy it! :mandosmiley:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Some more Ellis vs Red Diamond F Questions

It is an oval hole A, but there is a used Red Diamond with "no player wear" for sale at Morgan Music for $3799. Someone better buy it before I do.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

Not sure what your Givens is worth, but the Parlor in Knoxville wants $4K for a 1979 Givens A with lots of play wear. No, that is not $22K, not even $8K, but not exactly cheap either. You do pay...
  24. Re: Looking for a "beater" to take to a festival/campout

I would not take a $120 mando to jam on at festivals. But with that said, I do have a beater, and if I had to jam with it I could. I take it on road trips, fishing trips, and just have it sitting...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Kelly A O mandolin On Sale

It might be good competition for the Crossover. Certainly looks nicer, but if Scott played a typical sample, it may not sound better. My Crossover is anything but quiet and thin sounding - it is...
Page 1 of 2 1 2