Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield NS-F5S vs Big Mon

I have a Big Mon (Engelmann)… It’s a fabulous mandolin and a heck of a value.

I’ve played several of the F5S model… they were all very nice (miles better than an Eastman, etc)…. But not really...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

Those are all good thoughts in your last post, I agree.

Start with some easier tunes like Roanoke or Big Mon. Don’t go too fast at first!! If you can’t play it cleanly, slow down and keep working...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

A lot of that is just coincidence. Mandolin position, strap location etc will not give you an authentic Monroe sound.

Pick hold is more relevant.. strive for a closed fist (no pinky planting), and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

A few suggestions....

1. Play with others! If you have a buddy who wants to play rhythm guitar, or you have a local jam to attend, it will help. You'll be thinking about playing at the right...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Carpet Waltz ( Pava A4 vs Collings MT2 )

Great playing! Really enjoyed hearing your interpretation… nicely done!

I preferred the Pava for this particular song, but your Collings records really well… I’d probably pick the MT2 for any...
  6. Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

NFT: quite literally “ain’t no part of nothin’”
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Gard on a Northfield Big Mon

I have the standard tone gard on my Big Mon… I only had to give the legs a tiny tug to make them fit perfectly.

There’s NO problem with giving the legs a slight bend to fit your mandolin.

I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: D’addario XT differences

I thought they all sounded slightly muffled; the wound strings were definitely worse. I figured it was my imagination, but I went to the D’addario website- it says ALL the strings in the set are...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: D’addario XT differences

I have EXP coated strings on my D-18…. I think they sound great.

Just ditched the XT’s and put a set of EJ 74’s on…. My Big Mon is ringing like a bell again- it sounded really strangled with the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: custom oval hole

Thanks for posting a video, Rbaer… it’s a beautiful mandolin for sure, but a lot of us are more interested in what it sounds like- much appreciated.

Your playing is lovely- I can see why you...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict quit Mile Twelve

I’ll bet a lot of us who grew up in the 70s, 80s, 90s are used to famous band breakups being big, ugly dramatic affairs… akin to getting a messy divorce. Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

I’m not...
  12. Thread: Roanoke

by Jstring
    Replies
    Views

Re: Roanoke

A lot of fiddle tunes can sound great at a slow, medium or fast tempo.

But many Monroe tunes are speed-dependent: the speed is integral to the tune, and it won’t sound “correct” until it’s played...
  13. Re: Emotional hearing, and changing out my 7-year old strings...

I thought I was bad! I only change my J74 strings every 3-4 months (which seems like a “long time” to a lot of people)

After 3-4 months:
    1. I lose a lot of volume
    2. I lose much of the tonal...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sirius Satellite Bluegrass

HA! Now that was funny…

I also subscribed to Sirius for Bluegrass Junction, but I listen to it a lot less than I used to.

I think Mr. Christianson does make some valid points:

They just play...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile is the Messiah! The pick of Christ!!!

That looks heavenly...

But I prefer a Buddha Blue Chip

Once I tried it, I was able to end my desires for all other worldly picks...
  16. Re: Dumb and petty complaint (Doyle Lawson F-5 content)

A Doyle Lawson Gibson is a great mandolin, but it’s not particularly valuable or historically significant like a Loar (and I agree, the DL Gibsons look kinda dated) ...so... why not make it what you...
  17. Re: Matt Miller Picks - New to the Pick Market - Great pick/price

Got my Miller Pick today... it’s nice!

Not quite as grippy as a Blue Chip... but it’s not slippery. The Miller LG and a BlueChip TAD are virtually identical in terms of dimensions.

The sound?...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Dangerfield - Troy Bone

Thanks- that was very cool of you to post that. There’s a few licks in there that I’m gonna learn tonight...
  19. Re: Matt Miller Picks - New to the Pick Market - Great pick/price

You made a pretty good sales pitch... I just got one!

I haven’t bought a new pick in probably 3 years- My Bluechip TAD 40 is the perfect pick as far as I’m concerned... I’ve never played a pick...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Stiver Mandolin in 5 weeks!

I’m sure you’ll be happy with it, and you won’t miss the Collings.

I’ve owned a lot of cool mandolins... Brentrup, Givens, Collings, Flatiron, Ellis, Silverangel... on and on.
    But as you can see...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull tour

I just saw her on Saturday night in Pittsburgh ... it was nothing short of incredible.

The musicianship was just over the top...it’s a four piece band: Sierra on mandolin family instruments and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Is Baby Ben a traditional tune?

I play in an old-time fiddle group in Pittsburgh and we just started playing one of James Bryan’s tunes, “Farewell Trion”.

If you like Baby Ben, you’ll probably like Farewell Trion as well...
  23. Replies
    Views

Tenor String Set for GDAE

Hi,
    I have a Blueridge BR 40t that I want to string GDAE.... I know this question has been brought up before ( I looked up the old threads) but I would greatly appreciate some current advice on...
  24. Re: Here's why you are an amazing mandolin picker but still dumb

Nice to see you posting, David...

Hopefully the millions of tiger moms forcing their 5-year-olds into violin lessons will read this study...

Even if this myth is debunked, I assume there are...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Recurve case failure

Seems unfair to Northfield to post this without more information.

I see a picture with one broken latch. This wouldn’t cause a mandolin to fall out of a case; I’m sure we’ve all bumped a latch...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4