Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Small archtop

by fox
    Replies
    Views

Small archtop

I have been making a small tenor to order (Christmas delivery) it is not much bigger than a Baritone ukulele but will be strung CGDA in steel.
    20.5” scale pine soundboard is from a 200 year old...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tendonitis and string gauges

I switched from J-74's to J-73's several years ago because of arthritis, and found that the lessened string tension helped. It turns out that i like the tone better too.
  3. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

I guess I was thinking of primarily acoustic archtop. I actually had an EST-150 From the 1930s with the CC pickup which I sold along with other CC instruments.

I would assume Gryphon knows what...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

I used to own that guitar (actually, I’m the one bought it from retrofret. Sold it to current owner this spring). Great guitar - perfect jazz-era jazz box.
  5. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

This one just listed in the classifieds: Gibson Tgl-7 Tenor Archtop Guitar, 1934
  6. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

This Gibson Es-175 Tenor (Used, 1954) at The Music Emporium right now is pretty cool. And very pricey.

7. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Alex Bishop, but he's in the UK in my nearby city of Bristol, is a selmer/maccaferri sort of luthier - and he's made some serious kick a** GJ tenors :)

As you might see, I personally like an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Hasn’t Joel retired? Last I checked on his web site it appears that way.
    If you’re looking for a selmer-style, check out Craig Bumgarner. https://bumgarnerguitars Also, I’m a fan of del vecchio...
  9. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Your avitar shows Riley Puckett playing a National guitar. National made quite s few tenor guitars in different configurations that are suited for jazz. I have a 1928 Triolian that is an absolute...
  10. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

I suggest a vintage Epiphone tenor. While I don''t play tenor, I do have a decent collection of vintage Epi archtops, which sound marvelous, and am aware they made tenors on a fairly regular basis....
  11. Swing Mandolin: Rhythm and Chord Solos with Aaron Weinstein

Hey folks,

I'm doing an 8 session workshop on Jazz Rhythm and chord solos. It'll be fun fun fun!! You can find more info here:...
  12. Replies
    Views

A few new Parlour King photos

Strung up a pair of little Parlour King tenor guitars this week. Both heading to the US.

One is a 22" Parlour King with a banjo head.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mixed octave strings on low end

Many many previous posts on this. The dead simplest way to go is buy two sets of strings. Use one regular G string. Pair it with an extra A tuned down one step to G an octave higher.

String up...
  14. Re: Nobody Knows You When .... chord progression confusion

That little pause there on the A7 ... Well, that leads naturally to the Dm, being its V chord.

AT the time this was written the circle of fifths was very popular. One thing songwriters had to...
  15. Replies
    Views

2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar!

Just got this lovely Frank Tate tenor guitar from Cafe member gortnamona/Lawrence the other day - it's an absolute beauty! This is one of my favourite jigs (written by Seán Ryan), and always the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

FWIW I've setup tons of guitars and mandolins and it has always been a back and forth. It takes time for everything to settle in so expect to keep adjusting for 6-9 months - longer if you live in a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Still cant play a break!

Have you taken a look at this video? It was made for the Cafe's profile of Michael Daves who teaches Bluegrass Vocals for ArtistWorks, but it's a great guide to building a bluegrass mandolin solo.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Viaten Tenor Guitars?

Right along the same recommendstions above: