Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge upgrade on new Eastman mando?

I put a Cumberland bridge on an American-made mandolin and it made a significant improvement. Based on that, I put a Cumberland bridge on my Eastman MD315, but couldn’t tell ANY improvement in that...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Clipping/Cutting Excess String

"Side cutters" and "end nippers" are about the best tools for clipping string ends. To avoid jabbing people (or things), clip the strings a little long, and with a pair of needle point pliers bend...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for new F Style Mandolin

Eastman MD515 on order from The Mandolin Store......
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sunburst practice/test - What happened here?

20 year lurker. Hello everybody!!!

I did this exact test for figuring out application of Transtint water based dye, shellac sealer (Bullsye) and then Spirit Varnish recipe testing and french...
  5. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Post Mortem

I don't see any reason for any attitudes.

Gibson does not list mandolins in their on-line catalog, and hasn't listed them for at least a couple of years.

Only one or two brick and mortar stores...
  7. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Orange Tour

First time getting to see MO. Princess Theater Decatur Al 3/28. Taking my son, got 4th row seats in front, we are so excited. Don't know if full band or just Emily and Andrew, either will be...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull tour

I just saw her on Saturday night in Pittsburgh ... it was nothing short of incredible.

The musicianship was just over the top...it’s a four piece band: Sierra on mandolin family instruments and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How thick of a pick?

For the past few months I’ve really liked the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 rounded triangle(with grip) I like it for flatpicking guitar too. The pros are it produces a tone that’s dark and woody, and kinda ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chips

Well .… I have few surviving bad habits. And those are the hard on me but cheap on my wallet ones. Currently peanut butter and crackers are leading the pack. So spending in dollars what I used to...
  11. Thread: Blue Chips

by Jim Hilburn
    Replies
    Views

Before I ever bought one I remember a guy at Winfield retrace his steps to our camp and was on all fours with a flashlight going through the grass.
  12. Thread: Blue Chips

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Here's a little BC trauma from this evening. I was threading my BC into the strings when it used string tension to propel itself with force. I believed I heard it bounce off of my mandolin with a...
  13. Thread: Blue Chips

by Jim Bevan
    Replies
    Views

Had to buy a spare in case I drop one during a show.
    Had to buy another in case I lost one ('cuz, always have to have a spare).
    Had to keep 'em with the mandolin, so, three for each...
  14. Thread: Blue Chips

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

Yum... the thread title reminded me of this... have to find some salsa

I either keep mine in the strings of my mandolin or in my accessory case in a Altoids mini tin. Works for me. I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Resonance of a fiddle vs mandolins (wow)

If it sounds good, it is good. Doesn't matter what the bling is.

Refreshing to here someone bought an instrument irregardless of the looks, just for the sound.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Resonance of a fiddle vs mandolins (wow)

Glad to hear about your visit to Morgan Music. I think they are one of the real 'hidden gems' of music stores. I've made the trek down to Lebanon several times under the cover of a family...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Wound Strings = Noisy Mandolin

David, not to beat a dead horse, but your flatwound gauges and tensions are significantly lower than the other strings except for your 4th course (G). Those lighter mid-range and treble strings...
  18. New Forum Software Being Installed: all members must read

Starting this Friday afternoon at approximately 3:00 p.m. Central Time we will begin installing the next generation version of our Forum software. As a result, the Forum will be off-line for between...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Mine arrived at last, thanks to GuitarGuitar in Edinburgh. Delighted and away to get it going! Yahoo!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Just so excited!!!

This is how the fret board markers will be layed out.

21. Re: Sunburst practice/test - What happened here?

Gives you more respect for the talent of some folks, doesn’t it?

You’re learning that it takes more than 2 hours to learn. Cut yourself some slack, it’s hard.

And you can’t be born full grown:)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Inlay colors

Recon stone is great for those flashy colors. Also check out Abalam, and browse through the Masecraft catalog. They have a lot of zany stuff - search for the Nordic pine cone, super cool.
    My...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Burtenshaw Mandola #6

https://youtu.be/xMkclX-Q_Pc
    I wish I could play like Emory...
    I hope this is the right link....
  24. Re: Article: The Mandolin Store Moving to Tennessee

I’m not familiar with Nashville traffic patterns, but I know Tennessee is a lot closer to Pennsylvania than Arizona. I’m excited! :mandosmiley:
  25. Replies
    Views

Burtenshaw Mandola #6

Here is another mando built from walnut. A mandola with a redwood top, walnut back, sides and neck. James tailpiece, Cumberland bridge. I really like working with walnut and there is lots of it here...
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4