Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Haunting of the 8th fret?

My best guess would be that it's in the same family of phenomena as wolf notes, which tend to happen when different resonant frequencies (the top, the box, the back, etc.) tend to amplify a note at a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Joni Mitchell at Newport last Sunday

Joni Mitchell surprised everyone with an appearance at the Newport Folk Festival Sunday. She had suffered a brain aneurysm in 2015 that left her unable to walk or talk and made it unlikely she would...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dumb question of the day: nut width

I am not a huge barre chord player, but in my experience, the neck width does not impact ease of barre chords much if at all, not nearly as much as whether or not the fretboard is radiused. I have a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due

yes, those were D’Addario NB (nickel bronze) strings. That is what I have on my Campanella. Actually time to change them.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern F4 options?

I have a modern F4 style mandolin with X bracing and 14 frets clear of the body. I love it. A bit more robust than a 12 fretter with with the old style bracing IMHO. The first mandolin like this I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: H1 Mandola tailpiece

Going off of John's idea, if you set it up on a CNC, you could do something like this and never have to worry about it again...
    Or you could do it by hand, with a little 1/32" hole drilled...
  7. Replies
    Views

Update From The Mandolin Store

Received the following broadcast email from The Mandolin Store this morning. Text as follows as an FYI for those who may not have received it:

Hello Friends,

I'd like to start off by saying...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Waverly Jumped the Shark?

Absolutely. If they turn ok when off the instrument, then the fault is with the installation. Most problems with tuners are with installation, and the better quality tuners are far more sensitive...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Waverly Jumped the Shark?

I have Waverly tuners on two mandolins and two guitars and a banjo. All are fine. If there is something wrong with the tuners Stewmac will replace them.

You might want to check if they are easy...
  10. Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Play it a lot for about a year with the daddy-o 74s and revisit the issue in a year.
  11. Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

You can make a é by holding down the alt key while you type 130 on the keypad with 'numlock' activated. Like in Dué.
  12. Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

I have a Due. I put D’Addario NB strings on it. But mine has a European top and is x-braced. You might try a 11.5 as an E. Don’t go down in gauge. As Bill says, it won’t improve the sound. You...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Mandolin

I played a couple of his mandolins when Joe was first starting. I really would love to play one of the more recent ones. They are beautiful, perfect aesthetic for my eyes.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Case recommendations

The material on the inside (now a darker blue color rather than the older lighter gray) is not as padded. My Ellis fit like a glove in the old one, and not as tightly (but still ok) in the new one....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Case recommendations

From Michael Neverisky - " What's your fashion secret, Ivan ? ".

Hi Michael - No great secret,as with bonding anything to anything - ensure that the surface(s) that you're bonding to is grease...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Collings has passed away

I only met Bill a couple of times, and the only thing bigger than his personality was his heart. He did more for small shop luthiers than most will ever know. He'll be missed. RIP Bill.
  17. Replies
    Views

Taran Springwell Mandolin

Hopefully this is the right place to post this - seems like other people are placing similar posts in this section.

About a month ago I took delivery of a new Taran Springwell mandolin made by...
  18. Re: Orville H. Gibson research and biography

In the chapter that covers the very start of the company, I researched as many first employees as I could. I found about seven between 1903 and 1907. In the next chapter I have the entire list of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Spruce and the Laser

I believe old gibson oval hole mandolins get misdiagnosed with sunkin tops by people unfamiliar with the top side profile . I think when they look at the side profile and see it level from oval hole...
  20. Replies
    Views

Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Not sure if there is enough interest to sustain a thread this specific, but there is only one way to find out.

I've always thought that there is something about Vince Guaraldi's music - whether...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble & Ellis - Thoughts

That's the one Barry, and it referenced the Facebook post I remembered as well. And just to link it back to the Cafe - the article can be found here: ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Electronic tuner question

If it's not the battery, then try changing the location on the peghead where you clamp the tuner. Some locations are better than others. I use multiple brands of tuners on electric bass, guitars,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Electronic tuner question

I agree, check the battery out...
  24. Parking Garage Mandola, Guitar & Nyckelharpa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9XKcp1kBk&noredirect=1
  25. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake interview

Stumbled across this 2001 interview from Vintage Guitar magazine, thought it was worth sharing. It will not in any way help cure your MAS or GAS.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/2902/norman-blake/
Page 1 of 2 1 2