Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The Ugliest Mandolin Cafe Hat in the World

My wife took this photo during a break time/wildflower hunt while we were canoeing last weekend. This is my work/outdoor play cap. I have a newer one for more formal occasions.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

i got my CD and book over the weekend. I haven't internalized the tunes enough to start trying to learn any of them but did like the descriptions and stories of each one in the book. I just LOVE this...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: OT-ish: fiddle pickin' ?

Vassar Clements plays some "flatpick fiddle" on a cut on Bela Fleck's Bluegrass Sessions album from the early 2000s.
  4. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

I do not have the means to collect instruments that I don't play, every one I buy is to play. "Best" is subjective, though. I try to match the demands and expectations of the music and musicians at...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: F-4 Oval string recommendation

Yes, it is a very personal choice and not too expensive to try different ones. My personal favorites for oval hole mandolins are nickel bronze and monel. They also last a long time. Your mileage may...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tax Day Cometh

Due to the US Supreme Court decision in South Dakota vs Wayfair, Inc. in 2018 more retailers are now legally required to collect tax on interstate sales than before the decision. Earlier federal case...
  7. Re: US Made Mandolins "around $1500" (a...hopefully...helpful lis

I am anxious to get some of those Troublesome Creek instruments in my hands to try out. It is a great idea and I know some of the people involved. I really hope it works out well for them. If the...
  8. Re: US Made Mandolins "around $1500" (a...hopefully...helpful lis

I'm not sure about current pricing but I think Ken Ratcliff (cafe user name kyken), Silverangel mandolins, will build a fully carved A style for around $1500. Disclosure: I am a fan of his work (I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Victoria Day

As a Rush (the Geddy, Neil, Alex group) fan since childhood I first learned about Victoria Day from their song Lakeside Park. "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May, sitting in the sand to watch...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: gigs .... starting to return?

I've been really lucky to have had a weekly gig since early this year, right after restaurants were allowed to re-open in KY. I have 7 other gigs so far this summer plus a week long teaching gig at...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

I sometimes call them profane names when my playing is off a bit. Does that count? The builder, Ken Ratcliff (Silverangel mandolins), named one of them when building it. It has a lady's name in black...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: XT we barely new ya!

But you were replying to someone who referenced EJ74s. Don't scare me like that. LOL
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: XT we barely new ya!

They are still listed on D'Addario's site....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

I'm a fan of both oval hole mandolins and BC picks. However, I have had trouble finding a BC pick I really love on either of the 2 oval hole mandolins I've owned. I go between TD 50 and TD 60 picks...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Young Sam Bush A5 video

That is exactly what SB claims in the Revival documentary movie.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in your case?

I regularly play several different instruments so I carry a bag that has tuners, tools, strings, straps, etc. My cases are generally empty except for instruments. I did get a cool case candy gift...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Budget Fingerstyle Guitar?

I agree with the "get all the new guitars" you can sentiment. Acoustic guitars are plentiful in the new and used marketplace, there is wide variation in them, and today's cheap guitars aren't bad....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

I like it. It plays well and is very light. I'm a fan of woody banjos so the lack of a metal tone ring was no big deal to me. I think it's very similar to the early Enoch Tradesman banjos I tried out...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

https://youtu.be/LTRbBjk8HrY
    This is a quarantine video. Desperate times call for desperate measures. It will either entertain you during self isolation or keep you at least 6 feet away from me....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

Another nickel fan for oval holes here. I haven't experimented a lot but have always come back to J74s on f hole mandolins.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Who has thin bluechips?

I switch between a TD35 and TD40 on acoustic guitar depending on my mood and feel at the time. I also use the 40 sometimes on oval hole mandolins. I don't notice any compromise in stiffness...
  22. Re: Where can I find a tutorial for new camptown races?

The tab is in the classic Bluegrass Mandolin book by Jack Tottle, no video though.
  23. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I feel bad for Dave Harvey. I imagine he isn't in the most comfortable position at the moment. I don't know the man but have always appreciated his input here, mutual friends all seem to hold him...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A picture of your favorite "A" model

I have four A style mandolins, but this one is my favorite. It's a 2017 Ken Ratcliff Silverangel with a redwood top.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Are Eastmans a keeper?

I don't think there is anything low end about Eastman oval hole mandolins. No one else is producing the volume of quality new, short necked, non-elevated fingerboard oval hole mandolins they are at...
Page 1 of 2 1 2