Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello K-style build

You're quite welcome. Thank you for making them. Hope your current build continues to go well.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Jointing using a Stanley No. 7

Keep in mind that you can "initialize" the bottom of most planes. If I am understanding your question correctly, this procedure below should work for you. You'll just need some grits of sandpaper,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

If you delve deeper into Paul Seller's channel on Youtube, you can see several tools, fixtures, jigs and the like that he has made. He has even made his own spokeshave, in the process giving a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

+1 on the idea of making your own tools and fixtures. I learned a lot about the nature of oak when building my cam clamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSO5QFQhQk8
  5. Re: Don Kawalek Mandolin Building Workshop, March 25-30, 2018

Don't I wish! I have his OM kit, and the attention to detail is everything one could want.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Walnut Tonewoods

Magnus, what's the pickup in that? What I think I'm hearing is a really well matched set of electronics and woods. Thanks for posting this! Great playing, as well, btw. Very thoughtful touch on...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Homemade Thickness Sander

A little update: I've been using the tool now for months, and I love it! So deeply appreciate the generosity of those who supplied the plans online, and the great advice here at the Café.

I have...
  8. Replies
    Views

Torrefied Quilted Maple

Great interview with Geoff Burghardt and Robert O'Brien about building a Mandolin back out of torrefied maple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-q3T96DwdU
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Broken backplate

Just followed your Facebook page - thanks for being so generous with the pictures, and the updates! It's encouraging to see folks who are willing to be open about the setbacks.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a hand rub sunburst...

Well done, sir. I would say both sides look good - I wouldn't sneer at it if someone handed it to me as an example of their efforts (knowing well the dire limitations of my own). Thanks for also...
  11. Highland Woodworking Video - Waldron Instruments

Saw this on Highland Woodworking's podcast. Thought it was helpful in seeing one approach to cutting a rosette.

http://thehighlandwoodworker.com/the-highland-woodworker-episode-28/
  12. Replies
    Views

Took it out this weekend and got the sanding drum leveled to the deck. This took a lot longer than I was expecting. I glued sandpaper (100 grit) to a piece of plywood, and make some handles so I'd...
  13. Replies
    Views

Many thanks, all. That's quite kind, and the best wishes and prayers are appreciated. And Oliver, my mom is down from Canada helping to take care of the little ones as I type.

Got some more...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Archtop Build Journal - Fifth Edition

Wow, Mike! Comprehensive, beautifully illustrated, and fun to read. Can't wait to get an hour or two to myself, and a cup of coffee. What a treat.

Very, very kind of you to invest all that...
  15. Replies
    Views

Again, just wanting to bump this thread and give an update, for those who kindly expressed an interest and have offered great advice for the project.

It's been a tough month - traveling for work,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-gluing guitar bridge

Well done! Feels good to complete something successfully - congrats.

Unless it explodes tomorrow, in which case - congrats on a lesson learned for comparatively little expense.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge conundrum

Please, please, for heaven's sake, do an inlay pattern of a walrus on Tubby's headstock. 8 posts in and that instrument has character already!
  18. Replies
    Views

Sadly, not all of those safety screws are hidden. The new low-end taylor guitars have them driven right through the bridge, they don't even try to dress them up.

***I"m wrong - looked into this,...
  19. Replies
    Views

It's only a job for you if you post lots of pictures so that us other newbies can learn from your experience! :)
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Warped top on Harmony guitar.

Fox, thanks for bumping the thread with your update. This is really quite an inspirational thing to read, for those of us crossing into Lutherie from other hobbies. I build model ships, so your...
  21. Thread: Side wood

by Inklings
    Replies
    Views

Re: Side wood

Hi Nick, do you have access to a bandsaw? I've had pretty good luck re-sawing stock at home. Takes me a while to get the cut straight in both directions (vertically and lengthwise along the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: First Mandolin Build - Don Kawalek Kit

Just a little update. I've been pre-occupied with gardening, building a thickness sander, and parenting, etc.

Latest progress is imitating the neck block from Don's kit. Note his (attached to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Very sharp hand tools

This was very helpful to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI
  24. Replies
    Views

Amazing! Wow Oliver - that is the super-deluxe model! Looks like a large diameter on that sanding drum as well, must stay true quite well. If I may ask - what width do you consider sufficient for...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: First Mandolin Build - Don Kawalek Kit

Thank you, Bob! That's very kind of you. Not sure the ships will make it into the background - I've had to move the shipbuilding desk far from the "heavy" tools (ie anything bigger than tweezers)....