Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

A few thoughts - hope it helps :)

1. Play major scales but do not lift your fingers on the way up the scale - if your playing an A major scale for example, your 1st finger plays the A on the 2nd...
  2. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

The more one uses the 4th finger in playing, the less unruly it becomes.
  3. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Acadian Mandolin -- Louis Arsenault

Here are some Acadian (East Coast French-Canadian) musicians from New Brunswick, including Louis Arsenault doing a fine performance on mandolin. They're playing a medley, of which the first two tunes...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Book Recommendation for Technique?

If you aren't notation impaired....SEVCIK: School of Violin Technic, Books 1-4
    School of Violin Technics (Schule der Violintechnik, four parts, 1880)

Vol I, First Position,
    vol. II, 2nd to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital (and Omer Klein)

This is what was announced:

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

The venue is a restaurant. The admission is not worth mentioning. The concert took place in a rural area....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite mandolin playing beverage?

Espresso and red wine.

think Italian.
  8. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Up-Cycling

This is not something I'd normally do, indeed some might consider it sacrilege, but I'll post here anyway so you can all criticise me if you want. I might :)

Some time back I acquired a couple of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Embergher 5 bis copy

Here are some pictures of an Embergher model 5 I recently completed in Queensland Blackwood. The curl in the grain is more broken than in maple, so it was hard to get the same continuity of pattern...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Kerman Mandolin status as of 2019

I was lucky to hear Avi Avital in a good-sized concert hall back in 2019. His Kerman stood up to the tasks of being heard over the orchestra, and his encore piece was clear as a bell, from ff to pp. ...
  11. Re: A new Stromberg-Voisinet inspired mandolin

Strung up the little Stromberg-Voisinet inspired mandolin yesterday. For those unfamiliar with these, the Stromberg-Voisinet company was the precursor to Kay and this design lived on for another 30...
  12. A new Stromberg-Voisinet inspired mandolin

A post about a 1920s Stromberg-Voisinet mandolin a few weeks back reminded me that I had traced the body and head outline when I did a bit of work on one a few years ago. So here is perhaps the first...
  13. Replies
    Views

Music from Central France

This is a nice video of a band called Cadene, who seem like they are from Central France. The pipes are certainly from there. (Cornemuse du Centre). Really nice, I think. Pretty funky looking lot as...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Bowl back case

The case arrived, today. It appears that it was shipped from Germany, and the box was all torn up by UPS, but the case was fine and arrived in 6 days. I tried both my American bowlback and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Bowl back case

Interesting that the Gewa case is listed on the Thomann USA site at this link: https://www.thomannmusic.com/gewa_mandolinenetui.htm

I doubt they are carrying them either if Gewa can’t get them. It...
  16. Re: My favorite Red Bear pick just broke after a decade :(

Hawk Picks

https://hawkpicks.co.uk/

Lots of choices and customization.
  17. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

Eugene, I'd be interested in knowing the context of these comments.

Although mandolins are not common in symphony orchestras, Mahler and Respighi used them. Mozart tossed one in an opera score,...
  18. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

But that's all convention eh. I like this Bartok - that's why I like "early music" it let's us play all the funky old stuff like lutes, harpsichords, weird horns..

https://youtu.be/P7Np-z-Emm4
  19. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

I am curious about exactly who says that and what they mean. Also eager to see what kinds of replies you get to this, as I will be talking about it in my presentation at the Classical Mandolin...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Real nice, why don't you crawl back in your hole.
  21. Re: What is the difference between a trill and a hammer-on?

Yes, you can trill a double stop. & as my friend, David, said it’s not easy. At a lesson w Mr. Vicari something about trills came up & he was demonstrating how to play them. Then he went into some...
  22. Re: What is the difference between a trill and a hammer-on?

I am not sure that this is universal in all classical mandolin music but when I played in all of Carlo Aonzo’s workshops he directed us to pick all notes of ornaments including trills.
  23. Re: Suggestions for Crooked and/or Polytonal Tunes?

I'd suggest that crooked tunes are not necessarily individual tunes, but often have to do with the style of a musician or a musical culture. French-Canadians, and even more, Metis and indigenous...
  24. Replies
    Views

A new baroque mandolin

Here's a baroque mandolin I completed recently:
    https://i.imgur.com/UyoZE9b.jpg

And here's a sound/video sample:
    TrwK1ZYW5O8
  25. Replies
    Views

Cape Breton mandolin (1976)

Here are a couple of pieces recorded by the Celtic Studies scholar and Cape Breton fiddler, John Shaw, et al. Shaw's notes imply that relatives of one musician were playing Cape Breton music on...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4