Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Eddie Turner

Eddie was a wonderful, kind, positive man. A delight to have shared a bit of mandolin time with him.
    Steve

2. Re: Who can I thank for the O'Carolan Project?

Here's a bunch of O'Carolan tunes in abc with sheet music and midi files. http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Seven Come Eleven - CGP with Dawg

Ask and ye shall receive :) This came up in my feed today. It is all of that as he does Cold Cold Heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGH4hp6CFog
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Calypso Mandolin

Thanks. I agree with all of that - except no, never heard of "Dawgalypso" before this thread. It's a snappy number, for sure.

I have very few recordings of these songs, possibly because I hardly...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Jeff Beck RIP

This one hits hard. Blow By Blow and Wired were my favorites, and I wore out a few copies of each.
  6. Re: Looking for different mandolin music to learn-obscure/nonstan

Check out all the categories under "Music By Genre" toward the bottom of the Forum page. Also click on "MP3 Library" under "Learn/Listen" at the top of the page. You'll find a great variety of...
  7. Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

I can understand valuing an instrument made by craftsman (individual luthiers) over one made by a large factory subcontractor or even a company owned factory - as most Chinese instruments are,. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall interview

Hi. I run a podcast called Bluegrass Jam Along. I normally keep updates about it to the 'Jams, workshops...' section of the forum to avoid spamming too much, but I thought this one might be of wider...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: It's an F, it's not an F

All right, enough of this guitar stuff, here is the mandolin version, available for all you fans at Gruhn's.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingering Technique

For me it all depends on where I’m starting. If I’m starting on the second fret it would be I M M R. Starting on first fret it would be I I M M. Third fret M M R R. I would probably not do I M R R if...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingering Technique

Wouldn't it depend on the melody? If a slide from one note to the next one up would sound good, that's the finger that will cover two notes. If there's a "breathing gap" between two notes, that's...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: OneMic Series- The David Grisman Quintet

"Dawg Pound," haven't heard that one before. LIKE! Same thing happened to me in the 1980's when I discovered Mr. G. in the SF Bay area. Nice picture.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: proper fret dress

Mr Breeze, You polishing cloths will work great. 600 grit is fairly safe to clean up file marks without easily changing the actual height of the fret. 1000 grit is a better finish than you get on...
  14. Re: Bill Monroe's mandolin played once again - now with video

I loved what he did, all of it. Perfect song for understated playing, and perfectly understated playing.
  15. Replies
    Views

Grisman's New Trio

Saw the new Grisman Trio @ SF Jazz last night with Danny Barnes and Sam Gisman. He talked about going into the studio soon, this was only their 3rd gig. David featured almost a dozen new tunes, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret file or level too?

I have crowned worn frets on many instruments as opposed to leveling when it is just a few frets. Use a crowning file and crown the fret leaving a faint trace of the dent so you don't lower the fret....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando chord cheat sheet

I prefer to organize chords by logical groupings and then practice those groupings. Here is an example:168942168943
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando chord cheat sheet

I have a different approach to my cheat sheet. It is not as easy to use as the OP's reference to simply find the chord you want, but I think it is more useful for learning how to make chords and have...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Sighting down a fretboard

The clickers are just several pieces of metal that span three frets at a time and are dead flat. I just made some out of 1/4" thick T6 aluminum bar stock since I have access to machine tools. I have...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Grisman's impact only as a mandolinist

Just take a look at this discography:
    http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_David_Grisman.htm
  21. Thread: O'Dell F5

by lflngpicker
    Replies
    Views

Re: O'Dell F5

Congrats on that rare beauty, Breeze!
  22. Replies
    Views

Nice ND article on Dawg

Apologies if this has been posted before:

http://nodepression.com/article/dawg-dna
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: How many missing Loars?

While you're waiting for an answer you might want to take a look at this thread.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: The Birdfeeder Waltz

Here is the tune with mandolin TAB added. Enjoy!

25. A piece I wrote that uses a lot of glissandro: "An Odd Breeze"

I wrote this piece because I love glissando (slides), it is such a cool sound, but not many pieces use it enough in my opinion. So I wrote this piece that is loaded with them (about 70) so I can get...
Page 1 of 2 1 2