Views

Re: May Bell mandolin on Pottstown PA craigslist

Sure. The old f-holes:

The heel:

There's also the bridge saddle design and oversized thumbwheels:
  2. Replies
    Views

No, of course the catalog isn't false. Regal built them for Slingerland like they did for so many other brands, and almost none of those brands mentioned the real manufacturer, either. These...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Kent wc26 mandolin pickup

In the '60s, this was untrue. Japanese guitars at that point were mostly junk; it wasn't until the mid '70s that they started producing instruments that rivaled the best American or European ones....
  4. Replies
    Views

These were not built by Slingerland; the only stringed instruments they ever built were banjos. These were built by Regal.
  5. New song at the nexus of blues, country, jazz, and rock 'n roll

From my new album Tofudebeest. I'm not sure what you'd call this style, but it's a bouncy song with tenor guitar, acoustic & electric mandolins.

6. Replies
    Views

A bit of jazzy tenor guitar

I covered a variety of styles on my new album, albeit with a sound rooted in rock and roll. For this jazzy tune, the lead was played on an electric tenor in standard CGDA tuning:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Grandpa's S.S. Stewart - Help request

This mandolin was built by Harmony. It's an uncommon body shape for them which dates the mandolin to the early-mid '30s. It also has an early-style Stewart logo on the front of the headstock that...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega cylinderback info

Just to be clear - the banjo and mandolin serials may come reasonably close for some eras, especially in the early years before banjo production skyrocketed. For the Pettine Special, the banjo list...
  9. Replies
    Views

The electric serials line up with the acoustic serials from the same period; there doesn't appear to be a separate list for electrics. While the cylinder-backed mandolins came out in 1912, the tenor...
  10. Replies
    Views

The earliest Vega electric mandolins and guitars have serials in the 35000 range; that would put them 1919-1920 on the banjo list, but Vega did not start building them until around 1935. The earliest...
  11. Replies
    Views

There is absolutely no question that the mandolins DO NOT follow the same serial scheme as the banjos. The dates would be off by 10-15 years, depending on the era. There is no known list of serials...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson EM-1235 with TWO MANDOLIN NECKS

I think they were going for a mandolin equivalent to the Double 12 guitar: one neck with single courses, the other neck with doubled courses. Perhaps the upper neck was strung in octaves?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Unknown archtop mandolin from USA ?

That's a very European-looking mandolin. I can believe it's from the '50s, but I strongly doubt it was made in the US.
  14. Replies
    Views

Not your average Gibson tenor

This was sold as an L-7C tenor, but it clearly isn’t. The body is 16”, smaller than an L-7, and Gibson only used the Florentine cutaway on these smaller bodies. That’s OK by me – I prefer smaller...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: United Faux Resonator Mandolin Circa 1940

Looking at the screw holes around the top, I think it was something similar to this one but missing the cover plate.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Help Identifying This Mandolin

The body shape, headstock, heel construction and inlay pattern all identify this as a Regal.
  17. Re: oddball (pseudo?-) resonator w. amusing "professional" setup

Slingerland did not build resonator instruments, nor did they build any guitars or mandolins. Their standard guitar and mandolin models all came from Regal except possibly some of the earliest...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Shubb Capo Issues

Shubb makes capos for classical guitars with flat boards. Their banjo/mandolin capos are made for either flat or radiused boards, but they might be too narrow for an OM.
  19. Re: 50 plus years old no name Mandolin can anyone help identify?

This design was built by Harmony.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenortrope spotted

They're weird, wonderful things: a resonator tenor guitar disguised as a banjo, look totally wacky but sound surprisingly good. I used mine on a recording and the mid-range sat perfectly in an...
  21. Replies
    Views

An old National brought back to life

While I needed another mandolin-family instrument like a hole in the head, I am particularly fascinated by pre-War National electric instruments. My dream is to find one of their electric tenor...
  22. Re: Can a resonator guitar bridge be rotated easily?

The bridge and cone are just held in place by string tension, so if you detune it sufficiently, the bridge will rotate easily. Keep in mind, though, that resonators are not generally known for...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Cylinderback Plectrum

Not that particular brochure. However, I do have an article from March of 1926 announcing the debut of Vega's tenor lute:

They were also listed in the 1928 catalog:

Neither...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Cylinderback Plectrum

I have the tenor version. It's a loud and full, a world away from Gibson's anemic Tenor Lute models. The plectrum version is quite a bit rarer, but it was mentioned in a Vega brochure.

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Resonator Mando

It's a National Triolian, early to mid '30s. Someone painted the fretboard and put some decals on the headstock.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4