Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Cliff Sargent mandolin

2. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the interest. I’ll post some photos soon. Promise.

I have been seeking an F5 for some time now. I wanted something classic sounding, pretty, but not too expensive since I’m an old guy...
  3. Replies
    Views

I just traded one of my mandolins for a cliff Sargent built f5. The one I am getting is built with a sierra label, signed by cliff. Reading all the accolades on the cafe about cliff's skill as a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Vivian Williams

Got to spend some quality time with Vivian in the years just prior to Covid, as she usually stayed at our house after playing a local contra dance. She'd usually close a dance by playing big john...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: This Tune Needs a Category of Its Own

New old time.
    And timeless. In the same basic pocket as other gorgeous melodies including the likes The Golden Ticket, step town, winderslide.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

https://youtu.be/9w9LpD-GNro

This version of farewell trion was recorded at a house concert not far from where I live.
  7. Replies
    Views

Been playing farewell trion for years, but never heard it played as melodically as on that Daryl anger recording. Joe Walsh's incredible sounding mandolin has never been better miked. And this band...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: old timey challenge

Here's a cut from an old album of mine. The album is definitely a creation of the recording studio. All the fiddle tunes therein were deconstructed to some extent, with arrangements strongly...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ookpik Waltz- Chris Thile

Regarding the discussion of acknowledging (or not acknowledging) composers. I once recorded an album of traditional old time tunes. As I tend to do, I vastly deconstructed the original tunes,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Jenny run away in the mud at night
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! Drowned out by fiddles!

It's not clear to me if the OP wants to hear himself with greater clarity, or if he wants his audience to hear him better. These are not the same issues. If you play an F hole instrument, and you are...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Valley Forge arrangement?

This tune is always an explosive treat when played as a trio of mandolin, guitar, and fiddle. With TWO fiddles playing harmonically, plus walking guitar, and mandolin, it is out of this world. Love...
  13. Replies
    Views

On frankdolins question:

Here’s a few possibilities.

Ora lee
    Sally in the garden
    Winderslide
    Magpie
    Battle cry of freedom
  14. Replies
    Views

Spending time learning and relearning a few rags. Once you learn one, it gets easier to learn many others.

Peacock rag
    Chattanooga
    Banks of the Kaney
  15. Replies
    Views

Oh Henry.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Transposing tunes composed for horns

A few more thoughts. As far as a mandolin playing with horns, I’ve done it a few times, my favorite was a few old time sessions with a tuba player. I recall having great fun with notey tunes without...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Transposing tunes composed for horns

Thanks for all the good comments. Actually what I am doing is threefold. First, I'm practicing alone to learn some of the old jazz tunes I have always loved. I am fairly familiar with F from Scottish...
  18. Replies
    Views

Transposing tunes composed for horns

I've been playing a bit of 1920's era trad Jazz lately. Not being a facile reader, I learn tunes by repetition using the amazing slow downer (ASD).

So many of these tunes were recorded in keys...
  19. Replies
    Views

That's some pretty nice playing there, Mr Sweeney. Do you also play mandolin? Going to have to take a close look at Dixie Hoedown.

To Jim Roberts. No I picked up the Blake's March on this thread....
  20. Replies
    Views

Where Sitka spruce grows

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/opinion/alaska-climate-change.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

I hope every builder reads this article about the destruction of the Tongass old growth spruce forest.
  21. Replies
    Views

Coleman's March. Such a lovely tune.

Plus two Cajun tunes in preparation for an upcoming session.

la Maraine
    Reel de Nonc Will.
  22. Deconstructed Mississippi string band music

Harry Bolick recently released a unique collection of his own tunes in the tradition of Mississippi string band tunes from the 20s and 30s. It's quite a unique undertaking, and should interest anyone...
  23. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I have a neighbor who built a gold top Les Paul, even added a faithful Gibson Label. He never played it outside his living room. I once asked if he planned to sell it as a Gibson. He lowered his eyes...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Kel Kroydon KK20. Early 30s

177138 I can’t resist adding my own oddity, built by Ben Wilcox for a professional jazz player. It was the color of the top that first caught my eye when it was offered for sale. I bought it instead...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Grateful Dead tunes

I for one would love to hear a recording that includes any San Francisco, early Stones, or Motown material and features mandolin and pipes. How cool is that.

PK, If you ever need a techno beatbox...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4