Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How My Life Was Changed

12 year bump...
  2. Replies
    Views

Was away quite a while...

Clearly pretty out-of-touch now! Need to put some new strings on and start practicing again. Build up the callouses....still, the Ellis is great motivation.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

In terms of memorizing chord progressions of jazz standards – it's helpful to be aware of the "mini progressions" found within these structures. Within most any 8 measures of a standard tune you'll...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tendonitis update and some hints

I was advised by a Dr to use a brace at nite while sleeping , to give it a chance to heal. Depending on whether your issue is the wrist or thumb, you can get a brace for either at amazon or a...
  5. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin strings

Emando.com, Cafe’s own Martin Stillion. NFI, but a happy customer.
  7. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  8. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

I’m working on my perpetual motion machine.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Regal Reso

If you are looking for a good case, I have a Regal made and Dobro licensed Montgomery Wards reso from the same era (biscuit cone resonator, not spider). It should be the same size. A Crossrock...
  11. Oregon convention for mandolin, fiddle, guitar, & others in April

Several different styles will be explored for mandolin, fiddle, guitar, and other string instruments at this small town venue in southern Oregon. Workshops, jams, and performances will be...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

To get that low on that short scale will cost you a lot of playability. I would say that octave tuning on anything shorter than 19 inches is a risk.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Thanks for sharing your musical journey. I was a very active member of the newbies group here for a few years, and had noticed your earlier participation there, and of course have seen many of your...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic guitar forum

From the Admin at AGF:

Can you help me correct some misinformation posted here (Mandolin Cafe):

We aren't blocking those domains per se, we don't allow people to register with them because...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic guitar forum

That forum runs on the same proprietary software as the Cafe's where you're reading right now, only it's a generation older which should not be an issue. We ran that same version once. It's entirely...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A Bad Day at the Bandsaw

I had steeled myself to read a tale of severed digits, painful recovery, and learning to play with four fingers. I was happy to see it's just a crappy headstock!
  17. Article: Postal Service to Pay Tribute to Bluegrass Music with St

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1022-Postal-Service-to-Pay-Tribute-to-Bluegrass-Music-with-Stamp
  18. Early 1900s University of Washington Mandolins

I work at the University of Washington and came across some old photos of campus and had to scan this one in for you all.

I thought it was interesting to find five mandolins in this... Orchestra?...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Cafe Ball Caps make a return

Attachment 212113 (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=212113) This week look for us to return to offering Mandolin Cafe...

Read this blog entry...

This entry posted...
  20. 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

If you were watching the Grammys this year, maybe you were as taken as I was by the duet between Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs. There's a good quality clip here:

21. Article: Gold Tone Announces New Mastertone F-10: 10-String F-Sty

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1016-Gold-Tone-Announces-New-Mastertone-F-10-10-String-F-Style-Mandolin
  22. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I agree. That's why I referred to John Lennon's "Run for Your Life" as misogynistic in a previous post. The song is about wanting to control a woman's behaviour and threatening to kill her if she...
  23. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Just a note that the Stairway to Heaven of bluegrass is ... Stairway to Heaven by the Stanley Brothers. Always welcome at a BG Jam.

https://youtu.be/ZX_-3PMWPoQ?si=9smqdVvT87o902xs
  24. Re: "Elderlys" (To Be or Not To Be Confused With Elderly)

I took a look at the store after Bill brought this to our attention and grabbed a few screen shots. It is a straight out scam. We won't be listing the URL, just be aware. If something looks too good...
  25. "Elderlys" (To Be or Not To Be Confused With Elderly)

I was surfing for information on the Kentucky KM-855 Artist when a link to a sale site called ELDERLYS, not to be (more likely TO be) confused with Elderly popped up. ELDERLYS lists a whole slew of...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4