Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and play what they have and you'll have a baseline of how a poorly set up cheap mandolin plays and sounds. Get to some festivals and jams and talk to people who have...
  3. An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recording

I have fine recordings of many of Calace's liuto cantabile works performed by Calace himself, Giudice, Orlandi, Kisseljow, etc. Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148 and 3°...
  4. Replies
    Views

Four Of A Kind - Reel & Jig

A friend put me on to this lovely bit of playing featuring bouzouki, harmonica & drum.
    kZn1IkE_61I

https://www.tijnberends.com/
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

As another Irish export my impression is that until the 1990's we were all kind of cobbling along as best we could & acquiring decent instruments normally involved travelling abroad with some very...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I recently performed a live solo concert, and here are the two halves (there was a short interval in between).

Part 1:
    lg4YRZA8bII

Part 2:
    X_uSTVnDOq4
  7. Replies
    Views

NYC's Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

As we approach the centennial of this photo, I thought I'd post for archival purposes.
    One of the players was the late grandmother of a friend of mine.That's her at the right hand of the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 mandolin duet advice

This podcast episode came out after Baron Collins Hill and Noah Fishman put out a mandolin duet album and they talk about some of their thinking....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 mandolin duet advice

At the 2016 CMSA convention I gave a workshop on mandolin duets, after which I published a summary article, attached below, in the November 2016 issue of the CMSA's quarterly, The Mandolin Journal.
  10. Gifted another of my sons an instrument

I am at an age where I can’t play all the instruments I have collected. I have sold a number of them and given each of my three sons various Martins, Nationals and others. It gives me happiness. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

St. Basil's Hymn

A chilly-sounding tune for New Year's Day. This is traditionally sung in Greece by children on St. Basil's feast day, January first.

https://soundcloud.com/user-875085466/st-basils-hymn

More...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin: acoustic or electric

Our resident zombie post resurrector....
  13. Replies
    Views

Odd mandolin

Happy holidays, everyone. I noticed this very odd mandolin in a vintage photo for sale on ebay. The headstock looks like a Gibson; maybe the body is not original. Any thoughts?

Here's the whole...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving tone.

I think you need to spend at least some time every practice playing slower than 50% of normal speed. You don't just practice this way, but you do need to devote a decent percent of your practice to...
  15. Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

https://youtu.be/EnLgww2w79c?si=1K9ZSMeVnoy9ymNE
  16. Re: How hard/wise is it to replace a fingerboard?

Keep the present mando as-is and buy another with binding. Good excuse to get another. LOL

In any case, if the current mando is a really good one and you get deep into the music, it'll wind up...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

If you are buying from a dealer, make sure you ask if they charge a restocking fee due to the behavior Jeff Mando outlined above. Some are substantial. You could be out a lot more than shipping both...
  18. Re: Are there already any pros playing the new 1923 reissue?

Strong opinions on both sides. Personally we're with Dan Beimborn of The Mandolin Archive. His thoughts are worth reading. KKR-era Gibsons, which are fine, are little more than copies themselves, and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Tesoro Mio ~ The Glo Worm Trio

Robin Rapuzzi's Glo Worms playing Tesoro Mio in Vaughan's Lounge, New Orleans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTTkVaJFCQ
  20. 'The mandolin sisters' - Indian Carnatic mandolin

4HulRsObons

Came across this on mastodon and thought you might all enjoy. These are both 5 string electric mandolins, as are common in Indian music and made famous by U. Srinivas.
  21. Re: Newly acquired Pietro Ruffini - would appreciate advice/insig

That's one of the few makes I haven't had through here, so it's difficult to comment definitively, but I would say Ruffini's instruments were "fancy" rather than "quality", not necessarily junk mind...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning classical mandolin technique

I definitely recommend reviewing the method books posted to Michael's excellent MandoIsland site. Some references to the more popularly encountered methods that I compiled to an informational...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A Brescian/Cremonese mandolin I completed this week:

https://i.imgur.com/GhrYFQf.jpg
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Rafaelle Calace Cl. A model 1921

Pictures enclosed. 210246210247210248210249210250
  25. Replies
    Views

The Kensington Etudes - Chris Acquavells

As many already know Chris Acquavella (via Trekel) published a suite of 30 etudes dedicated to his students. He also released his CD of 10 of them "Recording Of The Dawn" (Bandcamp & all the usual...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4