Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Anybody Got a Copy of Ranieri Method Vol 1 and 2?

If I recall correctly, the current two volume set of Ranieri was edited down from the original five volumes (I think). I am not sure why they did that. I would also be careful about copyright...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Levin mandolin and slotted headstocks?

I think that Levin probably did make slot head mandolins— there are some pictured on this page, along with a lot of other models unpictured....
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Every jam of every genre has their overplayed songs or tunes. I remember Orange Blossom Special and Foggy Mountain Breakdown. We often overplayed when I was first starting to play. And then there is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

It’s funny, but I would have thought that by now they would have posted some pictures of the prototypes that they built instead of the graphic representations. I am sure that all of you who have...
  5. Re: Help me ID this vintage instrument dealer...

I am Facebook friends with him and he seems relatively active on Facebook as well.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Handel violin tail piece?

This is a standard violin tailpiece with some inlay. My guess it was made in Germany so could have been imported into the US.
    Handel tuners were sold through Louis Handel who deal in pearl inlay...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

Many of the modern sheet music of Baroque era music and even later had many additions including dynamics, slurs, fingerings, and other notation added much later. Often these were added and were...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: If you don't have the cash for a Gilchrist

This is part of the timeless timber collection and looks like it includes maybe eight other instruments including a snare drum for $10,000 and the electric guitar for $55,000. I am guessing that this...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

When I was a regular attendee at Carlo Aonzo‘s workshops, we played quite a bit of Baroque era music, and his instructions was to almost never use tremolo for the in those pieces. However, once you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identifying Vega bowl back

Circa 1910 Vega Style 3. I have a similar one and, assuming it is in good shape, they are excellent mandolins. Here are the catalog pages: Yours will need some work and the bridge is positioned a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identifying old mandolin

The most unusual part of this is a circular vs. oval sound hole. I found a couple of other bowlbacks that showed up in an image search with circular sound holes and similar (but not exact)...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: NYC's Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

Strange that the photo above says (I think) 4th Anniversary April 1921. That would mean the Freiheit Orchestra started in 1917. I have a feeling this short history of the NYMO is not correct either....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: NYC's Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

We discussed this photo you posted on this thread from 2016: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/124215-NYC-Freiheit-Mandolin-Orchestra-1925

There is another photo of the Freiheit Orchestra...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

His actual name is Joseph Campanella Cleary. I was very lucky to acquire one of his A-5s a few years ago in a trade. Mine is from 2018 and is his #90. BTW Joe studied mandolin making with Lawrence...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Hawaiian mandolin

That mandolin might have been built by Knutsen.

https://www.harpguitars.net/knutsen/mandolins.htm
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Headstock similar to some unlabeled L&H, however there are some makers in New York area capable of work like that. Mannello and Ciani come to mind.
  17. Re: String gauges for Yank Rachell E tuning

https://youtu.be/yfYMsRzVFXQ?si=Iu0uMzjT4hLZ3mSI

I believe also that Yank tuned the lower two courses in octaves.

You can hear the octave tuning in this video even when he is just noodling...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that lend themselves to tremolo

Lots of good suggestions however I will insert my own grumpy opinion that some tunes can be overspiced by too much tremolo. I use it as occasional accent but sometimes use the small touches of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Giacomel A-5

It is beautiful… for those who prefer the convenience of a link (while it is still here): https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/212234#212234
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: whatever you play

There is some element of joy in appreciating fine instruments especially as we progress to different levels of playing or explore different genres of music. Of course many of us are limited by the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Odd mandolin

Doubtful. The top looks dark not light like a skin head and there is a typical Gibson teen style pickguard clamp plus I can’t see any indication of banjo head brackets.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mario Maccafferi Boatback mandolin

The conductor of the Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra, Toni Nigrelli, who passed away many years ago, had a beautiful Mozzani mandolin that resembled the Maccaferri one. It was very simply...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

How does Myrtle sound in comparison to maple? Also, what type of bracing does it have… I am guessing x-braced?

It is funny but I have been playing a lot of mandolin lately putting aside my fiddle...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Ironically (?) violoncello is the actual formal name for what most people, even classical players, call a cello.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Actually the French term for our beloved instrument is mandoline.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4