Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

I saw some Eastman and Kentucky mandolins and maybe a couple other names I did not recognize. MAYBE a dozen or so mandolins, but that’s a guess on my part. They also carry a selection of acoustic...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

Thanks everyone for the thoughts!
    The Old Wave and the Possum fall into the category of “was broke with kid in college” (glad it only lasted 6 years,lol!).
    I’ve decided that age is just a number as...
  3. Replies
    Views

Getting Back To It

Hello all, as it can, life got hectic and I drifted away from all things musical but I finally found my way out of the weeds and ended up at Waynesboro Music yesterday and walked out with an Eastman...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Possum Head A Style

One more...,
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Possum Head A Style

Well, I was able to get one loaded. Phone signal is iffy at times. I originally saw one of David's Possums with the unusual colorations last year and decided then that I wanted one. This...
  6. Replies
    Views

My New Possum Head A Style

Just a teaser of the one I picked up Saturday evening at David Houchen's (Bryce Instruments) workshop. I haven't had time to take proper pics to post as I haven't set this one down since I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Jams; finding the 'right' fit.

In my geographic area, there are several jams that meet on a regular basis for people interested in bluegrass. I've always thought (maybe erroneously), that if you obeyed the common sense rules of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on the Saga kits?

Another IV kit example. Bernie did a great job on the back's recurve on his.144127
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Tap Tuning" the why's & wherefors.

I'm glad this was posed in the general section, as I am not a luthier, but have an uneducated opinion. I'm working on my third A style right now (two kits, one from scratch). I had little in the way...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

Timbo, your last sentence kinda puts this site in the top tray of our tool boxes. Might not be close acquaintances, and we may never meet in person, but I for one could not play at this without their...
  11. Replies
    Views

Flat versus Radiuses Fingerboards

Got my second IV kit in the mail today, starting to plan where I want this one to go. In my first Kit, I narrowed the fingerboard to 1-1/16" wide at the nut and it is flat. My Old Wave C# is wider,...
  12. Re: Persimmon (American ebony) fret boards and bridges

You haven't truly experienced our homegrown wild persimmons until you eat them green. An experience not to be forgotten.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Soundboard Too Thin From The Start

Final pic for this project. Due to the still-present CNC marks on front and back I could not take this down more for a better finish. But, so far everyone who has seen it asks , 'how old is that?'...
  14. Replies
    Views

Still trying to see what kind of finish I want. Maybe a rustic , aged look (code for, ' this is harder than it looks').
  15. Replies
    Views

Well, it didn't collapse while I was away yesterday. Actually, with the added braces, the top feels pretty strong now, compared to the pre-braced top.

Tuning drifted a few cents, but I expected...
  16. Replies
    Views

At this point, it is what it is so I am closing it up.
  17. Replies
    Views

Man, ya'll are something else..., . Must be the arteest temperament in you'ns. Have fun stroking each others egos now.
  18. Replies
    Views

Timbo, I agree, it was a fine gesture and I stated that it was generous and appreciated. But, for me, where I am going with this whole mandolin building thing would mean that his top would be wasted....
  19. Replies
    Views

A $12 dollar roughed-in top is a generous offer and is appreciated. But, it would teach me nothing, I am afraid.

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said, but we each learn differently.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: O.W. C# Number163

It is indeed an Old Wave. Mr. Bussmann dates it around '98 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what the external pickup was. There is also an internal pickup. I want to say it is a McIntyre, but I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Hello David, I've been watching your possums with much interest. Shot you an email, hope to see and hear your newest creations in the very near future.

Best Regards,

Dan