Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Some Questions about F-hole Design

interesting...
    I've done a lot of digging on this, and have some of my own personal opinions, but haven't much to contribute for the sake of humanity. I see some builder names I recognize and...
  2. American Lutherie - O'Brien/Burghardt online building course

Hi all,
    I have been severely not active on this board for a while and hope to change that.
    For those of you who are members of GAL (Guild of American Luthiers) you'll see a review of the mandolin...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Online Mandolin Building Video Course Potential

Wanted to update that we finished filming in early January and finished editing at the end of March. It came in just shy of 14 hours edited, and split into manageable chunks of 3 - 20 minutes long. ...
  4. Thread: Littleton, CO

by Geoff B
    Replies
    Views

Re: Littleton, CO

Jordan! check out Jake's Brew Bar in Downtown Littleton on Monday nights (starts around 7:00). I get there about every other or every third week. Friendly host, great selection of beers, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Online Mandolin Building Video Course Potential

Hey everyone,

I have been in touch with my friend Robbie O'Brien to potentially create an online Mandolin building course. Robbie has been doing this with guitars and Rosettes and French Polish...
  6. Re: He is... the most interesting mandolin player in the world...

He is what makes the orange blossom so special
    He never frets, ever
    He is the reason why notes you don't play are as important as the ones you do
    He uses the circle of fifths to explain...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Back thickness and role in sound

Wow, 8+ years later my first-ever post finally gets answered! I was thinking people just didn't like me... :-)
    Good discussion, great answers! You guys are great!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

The work posted here is so inspiring. Good work all!

Here is something I never, ever, ever in a million years thought I'd do. Inlay my iii's with pure gold from the Bering Sea.
  9. Replies
    Views

Building Tru-Oil coats...

10. Replies
    Views

iii #38 progress

I've been pretty active on my Facebook page lately, then figured I ought to share more ith this incredible community.

#38 is for a fellow Colorado friend who works for the Coast Guard in Alaska...
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm not sure the last time I posted here, but it's been a while! Currently I am working on 2 tenor ukes and 2 F-style mandos...111238
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Geoff Burghardt

Hey Branden,
    You are welcome to drop by to check out my work if you want to. I don't bite, and I could be interested in that Martin you have if you want to discuss further. I was going to put...
  13. Re: another BG festival question - gig bag or case

Access Bags and cases makes a "gig bag" with reinforced sides and decent enough padding. It is the main thing I use when taking my mando around anywhere outside the house. Much better protection...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds for mandolin

I don't remember if I had learned it from tab or not. I did create one for my students that I think should be attached in this reply as a . Let me know if you like it.
  15. Replies
    Views

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds for mandolin

I teach a mandolin playing class at the high school where I teach. This song has been a hit among the students, so I thought I'd make a video for them to reference. Then figured I'd share it here. ...
  16. Re: Curious about established builders thoughts on this

I've played around with bridge wood materials and have found the maple to tone down some of the high trebles vs. an ebony counterpart. I usually explain it as turning the "tone" knob on the stereo...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Finishing Options

Jordan, Robbie O'Brien (ex-head at RRCC) has a french polish DVD you can get through LMI. I think Gregory has taken over the french polish class at RRCC, or is at least the guy to talk to about it...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Roger Siminoff's Book

Jordan,
    I have an extra copy of Siminoff's ultimate book left over from my class. Email me your address and I can get it to you.

Cheers,
    Geoff
  19. Replies
    Views

One of my students came by for some help with a sunburst. Here's where we got after a couple sealer coats...90269
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Relief Question

Since a string vibrates in a curve, the fretboard (especially on longer neck instruments) curves to accommodate the amplitude of the wave. Makes open string stumming work with mid-to-high fret...