Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

At some point a few months back some system someplace replicated some bad DNS information. It wasn't available in some places but was available elsewhere. This happens now and again. Hopefully Paul's...
  2. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

You did the right thing by notifying the vendor of their mistake. If it turns out you get to keep it somehow great but if not enjoy the new F5S.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo-mandolin (Dennis Pash)

I also like them very much. On the Skedaddlers' website, there's a "contact" link in the bottom right corner, so if no one here answers your question you could ask directly. If you find out, please...
  4. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

The “blow-up over Kate Smith” and God Bless America should not be offensive if its history is remembered. The person who created this song, Irving Berlin, donated all royalties to benefit children,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Rhythm of The Falling Rain

6. Steve Morse, Rob Wasserman, David Grisman 1985 Merv Griffin Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsZvQDGAuU
  7. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I have played Wagon Wheel probably more than most of, if not all, the people in here because a singer I used to work with loved it and sang it constantly. That being said, there is a time and a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

You're right journeybear. Many of my airline and corporate pilot buddies are avid musicians as well as pilots. Schedules permitting, some of them manage to hold down regular paid gigs.

And the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

I now have three different Stromberg Voisinet mandolins, none of which have a complete set of functioning tuners. The nicer two have mahogany sides and back (laminate?) while the other appears to be...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: very odd mando tuners

Happy New Year, Ed. I was lucky with my Stromberg-Voisinet as it was not expensive and the seller said the neck was loose. When it arrived, he had been unduly pessimistic about the neck joint which...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD... hopefully today!

I am over the moon for this Morris A4! It's so beautiful to look at and listen to... the tone is sweet and warm... sparkle-y highs.

Mr. Howard Morris really does build a wonderful Mandolin :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of my favorite Frank quotes.... He often said when he sold a brand new instrument to someone "It'll never look better and it'll never sound worse.". I've used that one several times.
    If you've...
  13. Re: Help identifyiing this mandolin/what is it worth?

Alvarez is a brand name owned by St. Louis Music. Kazuo Yairi was a luthier that had a shop that built some (not all) instruments for St. Louis Music. Kazuo Yairi Also sold his own instruments with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall and Sarah Jarosz

I always heard mandolin music was cool, and here that notion is affirmed

FX8vnFEGYEo
  15. Ye Vagabonds, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh. Great video

This is magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VKks9Ka2ZU
  16. Replies
    Views

Sylvia Tyson playing a Regal Octofone

This photo came up on Facebook today from True North Records. It's a photo of Sylvia Tyson (then Fricker, best known as half of Ian and Sylvia) playing the Bohemian Embassy in Toronto about 1960. ...
  17. Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Hey All,

My music teacher and I developed an Irish trad tunebook that we're putting out here for all to use. I know there’s already a few out there, but this one’s ours! It contains tabs and...
  18. Today's tune: The Unquiet Grave, aka Star of the County Down

Here a lovely little melody that I was playing around with this morning. This tune has been reused and repurposed so many times I wasn't even sure what to put as the title. Anyway, I thought it...
  19. Replies
    Views

Solid Gone / Cannonball Blues

And old song that was modified by the Carter Family and a number of others. The melody is shared with McKinley Blues/White House Blues, as are some of the lyrics.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking For Advice on Mandolin Purchase

Not true at all, a pickup in my Brentrup has not altered the acoustic sound a bit. I have put them in many instruments and made no difference in the acoustic sound.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Who was the person that perfected

A few years back, George Gruhn invited me up to his office to A/B two brand new upper line Martin dreadnoughts. They were identical to each other, except one had a torrefied top and the other did...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Bloody hell. :disbelief::(:crying:

There's plenty of mandolin content,actually. And I'll do what I can to provide some, and some context.

Besides the fact that the music scene he helped to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s Happening At Gibsin?

It's "The Hogan" mandolin made by Adrian Miranovic--Hogo on the cafe messageboard. He's the man who drew the good Loar plans.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

@ Ed Hanrahan - I’ve tried to remember when I first took hold of my dad’s guitar to learn to play & the best I can figure is around 1966 - same as you - at age 11. Before turning me loose with his...
  25. Replies
    Views

TSA mandolin incident

Was flying today and had one of my mandos with me, an f-style, in a soft case.

After it went through the X-ray machine, the TSA agent operating the X-ray said "Sir, what kind of guitar is this?"
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4