Search:

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Y'all are bringing back way too many pleasant memories. While I've described my folk music experience as "'round the campfire", that mostly means "'round the 6-pack".

Only once that made an...
  3. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

Suspectin' that Gene 'n' the boys jus' tuned to that there piano out on the back porch!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig material

... as is Hank Williams. Most folks will have some familiarity with 5 - 10 songs under both suggestions. (Or is that 77 y/o thinking?)
  5. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Since that's a recurring theme in this thread, per "Turkey in the Straw", I have to comment (just off the top of my head, without further reseserch):

Many of our popular folk and "childrens" songs...
  6. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Been there: Senior Citizens' club Christmas luncheon, maybe 5 years ago. Requested song was "Edelweiss", and that gig is now one of MY warmest memories!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

Thanks for that. Personally, I'll probably still carry (meaning that I haven't yet) the full 6-page details with the specific parts highlighted. The full text is "Federal Register/Vol. 80, No....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Batwing coming soon

Looks as nice as I had hoped it would. And sounds good, on thus-far limited experimentation into a Roland Micro-Cube.

But, two minor disappointments:

- After the comments about excellent...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Overthinking tone

Lots of possible factors involved; strings, technique, pick, room reflectivity, etc. But, F-holes generally tend to project outward, toward the audience, more than oval holes do. I'm blown away any...
  10. Re: Help identifyiing this mandolin/what is it worth?

I'm far from expert but, as best I recall from 25-30 years ago browsing Rudy's and the other shops on NYC's 48th St., "Alvarez" and "Alvarez-Yairi"-branded instruments, all from Japan, have run the...
  11. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

1- Having started on guitar 6+ decades ago, even today's cheapest instruments are at least decently built. It's as if the bottom 30% of 1970's market just vaporized.

2- "Set-up" is continually...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy used?

Jeff - Very well said!

And your whole story is real familiar, even if I'm only 20+ miles from NYC, where you still won't find extensive inventories of mandolins... especially after Stan Jay...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Please help I.D. this mandolin tailpiece

IIRC, an early issue of Fretboard Journal had an (as usual, excellent) article on Holzapfel's 12-strings.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: fondy moisten Ibanez mandolin guitar

Uhmm... It sortta has me thinking that maybe the mandolin-guitar was moistened at the Bay of Fundy. when the 30-foot high tide arrived at 8:05...?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing at outside wedding

You don't note the geographic location, but I'm picturing the northeast / New England in mid-to-late October. Even the best of Fall days mean a bit of breeze, with rustling trees & shrubs, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

FWIW, I was a marginal singer for decades, sometimes almost on key. Then when it got to reading notation on mandolin, I'd play the notes while SINGING the names of them, easily referenced against...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

It would be hard to go wrong with this one, for only $10-12 or so:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/554-New-in-Print-JAM-Songbook-by-Pete-Wernick-and-Liam-Purcell

... and to be aware of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of mandolin is this?

As a fan of Neil Young's acoustic side, I can only say that that recent (Aug. '23) performance was REALLY nice! Can't fathom that the song is now 30+ years old! Would be extra nice if Neil actually...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap problem

On mandolin, I find that "at the nut" interferes with the fretting hand. (Guitar has both more room and somewhat different hand positions.) Around the headstock & thru the tuners works for me.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Any idea what this is?

Ha! The tuners sort of look like they're riveted, except for not coming thru the front.

Anyway, this should help, compliments of the late Paul Hostetter who was a frequent poster here:...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

Great question! But it almost inherently means different things to different people, as we've all grown up (musically as well as physically!) in different eras, and had different learning materials...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson Mandolin Needs Repair

The OP should be aware that Gibson's habit, when instruments came in for repair, was to sometimes "upgrade" them to then-current standards. Guess they figured, in '20 or so, that nobody wanted an...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello again!

HA! As I've recounted maybe too often, it was a nice shiny new right humerus (titanium) in '08 that got me into mandolin in the first place. Welcome to the new and improved you!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Why chord melody? Why not use notation?

Nicely said! I'd been thinking it, but wasn't sure how to inject it into the conversation.
  25. Re: Sheet music with the letters inside the dots (for learning)

The beauty of notation (vs. tablature) is that it defines the MUSIC rather than fingers on a given instrument. IMHO, there's no great difference between piano's treble cleff / right hand music and...
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4