Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Wintergrass Vintage Instrument Showcase

This was my first Wintergrass and the vintage instrument showcase was one of the highlights. At this year's showcase John Reischman and Patrick Sauber played an array of vintage guitars and mandos...
  2. Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

I just sent you the data on it including the only two people who replied to your ad. Interestingly, only 390 total ads in the Classifieds in early 2010.
  3. Replies
    Views

Adventures in Clip-On Mics

Hi everyone!

I auditioned last night for the job of mandolinist with a band and I thought I'd share my brief journey with clip-on mics in the hope that it might prove helpful for others.

This...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Source for f style worm over tuners

Sometime in the mid-1920's someone figured out that having the worm gear on a set of tuners above the cog would cause the string to pull the cog into the worm gear instead of away from it and the...
  5. Article: Mike Compton Talks First Generation Bluegrass Mandolin S

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/560-Mike-Compton-Talks-First-Generation-Bluegrass-Mandolin-Styles

https://www.mandolincafe.com/graphics/mikecompton.jpg
  6. Re: Condenser mic for live and home recording

As a cost-cutting cheap-o person, I'd even suggest investigating the MXL line. I've been using a couple of MXL 990's for live performance, with a Fishman SA-220 SoloAmp, and have had good results. ...
  7. Re: Condenser mic for live and home recording

+1 on the Shure KSM 32. Works well on stage (room acoustics and monitor levels permitting) and is also good in the studio for both instruments and vocals. A very versatile and well-made mic. The...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Condenser mic for live and home recording

Many of those settings involve a good sound engineer off camera. Doing that job from stage is tricky.
  9. Replies
    Views

Plenty of good suggestions above, I’ll add in the Shure KSM32. As others alluded to, mic choice is situationally dependent. An LDC on a stage with a quiet audience is great. In the corner of a noisy...
  10. Replies
    Views

If you are recording feedback is not a problem. You can have a hot signal and not worry about sound from the speakers getting into the mic. The videos are simply recording with no sound amplification.
  11. Replies
    Views

It might work, but the main drawback with a single mic in a compromise position is less available gain before feedback. There's a reason why you see people "eating the mic" in most pro performance It...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Case question

I've had great service from my Calton for my F5 for 36 years.
  13. Replies
    Views

John, I'd be inclined to use the Superior. The arched top is definitely stronger than a flat top rectangular case. The shaped case is also a smaller target for getting stepped on. If you're...
  14. Replies
    Views

My mandolin isn't worth quite that much, but it was close to $5,000 new. I might not ever fly with it, but it does leave the house several times a month for Irish sessions or gigs. So I'm in a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with a song intro

Nailed it!

but I doubt the player that recorded this would play it the same way twice.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with a song intro

Well, here's the notes anyway:

gab | c-- a c-- a | cdca c- c- gac | eg -- dedc bcbg | a- dc e- -- |

Rhythm is hard to show this way, but you probably don't need help there. (The hyphens are...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: VIDEO: Nu-Blu - Shadows Of The Night

Somebody call F5 to put them in Bluegrass Jail! They are after an IBMA award! :) :) :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: VIDEO: Nu-Blu - Shadows Of The Night

You don't get the point.