Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Concur with what others have said. We have an obligation--and it's the right thing to do-- to treat visitors to the site looking to assist us with courtesy. That's my opinion as the site owner and if...
  2. Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

I love that
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

Well that was the spirit and history of Ella as I understand the history. John Sullivan used to lend Ella out to folks while they were waiting for their new builds, for repairs to be completed or...
  4. Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

Danny’s nugget went back to Danny. Ella never felt like my mando. I agree it had something special but they all do. The Loar has it all.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

Stunningly beautiful!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

Sometime loud is better, but only sometime. The way I see it, whether you are chopping, comping, strumming, or any other form of accompaniment, the point is to support and not bury the soloist. Ever...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

For what it is worth, I bought it in very used condition from a reputable instrument dealer that surely would be aware of all things cosmetic and legal. He has a little shop in Nashville called...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Registration was cut off when 1,000 unique individuals had applied. There was never a statement that we're aware of that you were guaranteed to receive free strings as a part of the application...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

They even added another 200 slots due to the shipping delays. Very generous indeed but I am amazed at the level of grousing about not being selected. Nobody was promised anything.

C.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Trumpet Mics

The reason "there are so many mics" is that it's a mature technology. Mics evolved rapidly in the period since World War 2 into a few niche categories like instrument mics, vocal mics, and a few...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ribbon Mics

Mine is stock. The standard transformer seems absolutely fine to me, though I have not compared them side-by-side.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: EQ advice for live band?

$49 was Monday pm. At 2:30pm Tuesday, it's down to $29!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Wiens mandolins

I'm completely aware of all the things that took place on here regarding his business practice.
    I have no experience with Jamie, and I'm not gonna judge him.
    All I know is from what I've seen, he...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time Recording an Album

Here are a couple of tips that I've found useful over the years . . .

Before you walk into the studio:

Make sure your band has a solid sense of the tempo for each song and that you know what...
  15. Replies
    Views

R.I.P. Dan Hicks

I'm nearly overwhelmed with grief upon the passing today of Dan Hicks. He was (I hate having to use that word) one of my biggest musical influences. He was the guy who made me want to be a musician,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Just French Polish on this Sullivan?

Most likely that is an overnight air shipping price so that it does not spend half a week in unheated winter shipping warehouse.

John Sullivan was a friend, mentor, and neighbor of mine who lived...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Machines

I have never had a set of mandolin tuners weigh anything close to 200 grams. I just weighed a new set of Grover 309N (N is for nickel finish) tuners. Mass of the tuners alone was 148.7 grams. Even...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Machines

Looks like that is the shelf/shipping weight of the product + packaging.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Very good Girouard Talon review clip

I agree that a few chords up and down the neck would have helped us get a more rounded idea of the overall sound of the instrument, but I respectfully disagree that the talking was surplus to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando is Skip playing?

It's a Newsom. I asked him about it at the Monroe Camp...says he really likes it.

Also in the video on mandolin is Casey Campbell, David Davis, and Mark Royal.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ibma 2015

11 to 6 Friday and Saturday is what I have.

Steve
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-5 mandolin history

Thanks.

NGt_rwlS4NQ&list=PLHL7KHee8Vq8HOP7nPX9L_tUl3RbspAc_
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Broken neck on Gibson Jam Master.

Just to put everything into perspective there is a reason I asked if he was the original purchaser. Honestly mandolin people don't always do well trying to get warranty work done through normal...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's Gibson

I would disagree. Certainly no harm was meant, and the comment is in essence a positive recognition of quality across diverse populations.

There is such a thing as microaggressive Political...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando is Grisman playing on the Pizza Tapes

Wow Dave. You're absolutely right. What you're hearing is a rather large Gilchrist "The Mandola" (so inscribed in its' headstock) which I've owned since its' birth. It's large enough to tune an...
Page 1 of 2 1 2