Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: My Tone Gard review. Get one for your mandolin

Old thread, new thoughts on the Tone-Gard . . . I've had one on the back of my old Gibson for decades, but it recently went missing. Just contacted Tony for a replacement. I believe in them...
  2. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: March Jazz tune of the month

Yes - - always thought of vibes solos as a rich field to explore for mandolin. I've been transcribing Milt Jackson solos for years to get that bluesy spirit-feel he has - - great stuff!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that improve technique

One tune I use for technique skills is Golden Eagle Hornpipe - - uses all the strings, lots of tricky string crossings, and the B part has some interesting harmonic leaps.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: So who is finger picking thier tenor?

I finger pick - - using fingers (!), a modified Travis picking in a folkie or Honky Tonk situation. I play a National Steel tenor tuned as an octave mando, so tend toward the "powerchords" (A= 2245)...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Just adding a few cents here - - In the huge world of the internets there is no site comparable to the Cafe for mando-classifieds.
    If a big volume wheeler-dealer is taking advantage of what has...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ella or Cass, Dream a little dream of me.

In the Ella (and Louis) version, the bridge goes to Ab (from C), in the Cass Elliot version, the bridge goes to A - - been a souce of confusion on many a bandstand, depending on what version the...
  7. Re: Pros/Teachers - What is the most important tip you can give?

What a cornucopia of helpful tips! Pete's advice to relax behind the instrument is basic, up and down picking, learning tunes, all invaluable. I pretty much play every day and I start by playing...
  8. Re: Need Recommendations: Learning Standard Notation

Altho I started on piano at an early age and had a leg up, so to speak, I really learned sight reading by going thru the 1001 Fiddle Tunes, and O'Neill's Music of Ireland - Irish tunes by the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz tunes same changes

So you could play a full 4 set evening of music with 1 chord chart!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: B Diminished Scale

As David KOS mentioned, I think of (and I think a lot of swing players do as well) as the role of a diminished scale or arpeggio in a progression as outlining a 7b9 chord, i.e. a V7 chord in a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this chord?

Yes, sorry . . . I did not mean to disrespect any poster on the thread. I guess I've just always had a feeling that 'theory' is a great tool to communicate ideas and help us understand musical...
  12. Re: Chord Melody: Aaron Weinstein plays TEA FOR TWO

Dang, Aaron, that is beautiful stuff. Apparently you've gotten the Acme pinky extender, my pinky just can't do that stretch. Thanks for the inspiration! ~Will
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for mandolin?

00h, a mandolin pick discussion! Lot of common sense in all the previous posts - the thing that struck me was - a pick is just a pick - while ontologically true, I don't think a violinist would say...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The ultimate OLD and IN THE WAY

In response to your post about the lust for that big rhythm section behind your solo thang - Django and Dawg - I've heard that same thing, Art, and had it collaborated by a number of folks - Ya...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Extended Chords

Yes, Mandopops, I think you've hit the theory nail on the nomenclature head! As soon as there is a 7th in the chord, the upper extensions BECOME 'upper' - 9ths instead of 2nds, 13th instead of 6ths....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz mandolin from the ground up!

Welcome to this life long endeavor. It's a rich path.
    Jazz is a vocal genre - the best way to develop the vocabulary is to learn melodies of standards - from fake books, real books, or (best!) by...