Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Eastman 604 might be a good choice, but I will agree with rcc56 that you won’t go wrong with an Eastman 505. A lot of people will pitch the Eastman 300 line but the 500 and up series are definitely...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Rearranging strings on a mandolin?

The brilliance of mandolin is largely due to the GDAE / fifths all across tuning.

Don’t be discouraged by that stupid bluegrass trad four-stretched-fingers G formation. It’s ideal for...
  3. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

Hi Barry. Yes I have been using TI mediums for a couple of years on that very model. Do you have one too? We should compare them in person sometime. Mine’s a 2011.

The TI’s are truly…well I used...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sir Patrick Spens

Well done sir! I am interested in how you got that perfect crunchy Richard Thompson electric guitar sound…
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on Eastman 304 or 504 oval holes

When you say “any Eastman” what models do you mean? Big difference between the 300-series—which I personally indeed find a bit tinny (I’m guessing that’s the word you meant to type) but I played a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Case handle replacements?

Probably not what you’re after, but for the functional/funky effect I like, I enjoy carving pre-curved pieces of driftwood to fit my hand and the attachment points on the case, and attaching them...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Another mandolin stand question

After decades of trial and error and.a couple of disasters, I have concluded that no stand is perfect. They are just like life, like gigs, and like political practitioners; they all make promises...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you think of this?

I like every thing about this!

Play what you love!

I like the Mando part!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Sawchyn Mandola: Jeannie o Bethelnie

Thanks for the kind words!
    To complete the missing surname from the original post, my source was Dick Gaughan, 1978 album “Gaughan”.
    Four weeks past shoulder operation, I’ve started playing the...
  10. Re: New Member, new mando, question about picks....

Jim Dunlop Tortex .88, 1mm max. Easy to hang onto, cheap, and I like just a tiny little bit of flex. Some Mando players prefer to use the rounded corners, I generally use the pointy one, but they...
  11. Jeannie o’ Bethelnie on my Sawchyn Mandola

I’ve had this Sawchyn Beavertail Mandola for a year or so…gradually trying out using it for song accompaniments. This song (Child Ballad 238) was learned from Dick Gaughan’s version many years ago as...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The I'm Alone

Nice version to be sure. (You’re gonna regret getting me started on this topic Ranald.) With all the work they put in it’s too bad they didn’t get the lyrics right in the chorus. They are singing the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Stefan Sobell Mandolin

It’s a beautiful and valuable instrument. Why is it unstrung and where is the bridge? Please hie thee to a luthier, get it checked out, restrung and set up for optimal playing. The thng you want to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing Eastman tuners

Grover 309s are commonly put on Eastmans. The peg holes fit perfectly (in fact you can leave the old bushings in place as I recall) but you have to predrill a couple of differently-placed screwholes....
  15. Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Hmm, I was confused about Rufus Stewart vs Rufus Guitar Shop. . His personal shop (if still active, he is getting on) is or was most recently Rufus Island Guitars on Vancouver Island, now...
  16. Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Hi kdird. I am Canadian and know exactly whatyou’re talking about.

I highly recommend Rufus’ because he used to be in Ontario and is an absolute master at setup, regulation (tweaking) and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Information on Fender Mandocasters

Well…the 4-string Mando-strats from late 50s/early 60s go for a couple of grand, give or take. I’ve never played one but they look virtually identical to the ones that came out about ten years ago,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

I agree about the Dyn-M, it’s a great contact pickup. You quickly get used to the couple-of-minutes routine of installing it, and carefully recasing it when you’re done for the day. When you want to...
  19. Re: Yet another Thomastik-Infield string question

They are not a punchy in the bass but they look and feel like works of art. They are very durable. I have found the TI mediums last about 9 months on my Collings. The very finely wrapped A’s...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Unger Mandolin??

Way back in the Plasticine Era, 1979 when I was a young fella, I spent five weeks in Elkins WV taking a luthiery course at Augusta, taught mainly by Paul Reisler. In that length of time our group of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie O' Winsbury

Never heard Andy Irvine’s version untilI just looked it up now (Sweeney’s Men are long time gone) although I have been listening to him a lot. I learned the song originally from Dick Gaughan who used...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

Cape Breton players love the key of F, and Bb or Gm as well. Here’s a set the Ottawa CB Session plays of some of the favourites, including settings for a couple of tunes that have been mentioned in...
  23. Re: Oval hole mando comparable to a Kentucky KM-505?

If you can find a good deal on a Collings MTO—lowest used price seems about $2k US, I’m not thinking of any particular ad anywhere-you ultimately won’t regret it. I played mine at a Cape Breton...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in the Movies

In the movie Winter’s Bone, Jennifer Lawrence’s breakout flick, she plays a teenager searching the Ozarks for her missing father. At one point she goes to her dad’s sometime-girlfriend’s house and...
  25. Thread: A.J. Lee

by Bill Cameron
    Replies
    Views

Re: A.J. Lee

I don’t usually get interested in “see this incredibly young musician” videos, but she really had a great soulful mature sound by the time she was 12. Pretty good at 10 in fact. Really got it now...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4