Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Regal Octophone - vintage photo

Every so often I buy a vintage photo and I found this one the other day. The image of the boy in his new looking but oversized hat and coat (perhaps bought large to grow into?) makes it worth having...
  2. Replies
    Views

Bach's G Minor Fugue

The next video in my monthly attempt at Bach pieces. Th G Minor Fugue! Picked a hard one for the shortest month, go figure :whistling:

qxK09boO5TU

Thanks for watching!
  3. Dyer Harp Mandolins and the Symphony Harp Plectral Ensemble

For those mandolin aficionados who have been wondering what to do with themselves for an entire year with NO Harpguitars.net article on the Dyer Harp Mandolin, you can all breathe easy. The new...
  4. Replies
    Views

Midnight On The Water Medley

This video features a two song medley:

1. While We're Here (©2016, Ashley Broder)
    2. Midnight On The Water (Thomasson) at about 1:03

bbcee (Bruce Calder) arranged this medley, and allowed me...
  5. Thread: Bongrass

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Bongrass

https://youtu.be/d7z2du4XVJI
  6. Replies
    Views

"Family" addition, from the Larsons

As most of you know, I have a lot of mandolins; those listed in my signature, plus others I've added that don't fit (anyone else have three mandocelli?). I have kinda stopped looking for mandolins...
  7. Replies
    Views

Bohmann octave mandolin

I've been thinking of getting an OM for a while now, and I've also been keeping an eye out for a well-preserved guitar or mandolin by Joseph Bohmann. Sometimes, everything just comes together:

8. Thread: Sunset Waltz

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Sunset Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCznSCl4TzU
  9. Replies
    Views

John E Dallas Mando Family Reunion

After many years of searching I recently managed to acquire a tenor mandola to form a trio of matching instruments made about a hundred years ago in London by John E Dallas. They all share common...
  10. Replies
    Views

7th Annual NY Guitar Show & Exposition

7th Annual NY Guitar Show & Exposition Set To Invade Freeport, LI April 21st & 22nd, 2018

This Year’s Expo to Include Great Giveaways, Exhibits, Retailers, Custom Builders, and More

February,...
  11. Replies
    Views

When we all get to heaven

Here’s me and my wife, with a pastor friend of ours on the guitar.

Y9sm30D2OjQ

Because I keep not getting something right embedding the YouTube video, here’s the direct link to it
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Romanian Cobza I just finished building

Here's a sound sample!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu285IfS5Tw

The shorter scale length vs oud which is my main fretless experience and the fact the strings are still settling in tune makes...
  13. Replies
    Views

Early Mandolin Club Post Card (Gibson)

I recently got this original Glee and Mandolin Club post card on EBay. It’s post marked 1907 and has a picture of some pretty cool instruments. Too bad the photo quality isn’t that good to really...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New custom Rigel mandola

A quick demo:
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 1927 Lucien Gélas Mandocello

There are several photos of the mandolin as a whole and the bridge construction in particular in this old thread which I started to discuss my setup conundrums: Link

The bridge is a bit different...
  16. Re: Curious sunburst Lyon & Healy Style A with Regal label

I reached out to Bob Carlin (who wrote the book on Regal history) and Hubert Pleijsier (who wrote the book on Washburn history) and compared my notes with them. Neither of them, nor I, have seen...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Orville Gibson A-Style

Yes, most people say that these early Gibson’s don’t sound good but I think that most who say that have never really heard one. Here’s another example of one...
  18. Replies
    Views

Orville Gibson A-Style

In the past years my main focus has turned to the original instruments of Orville Gibson as well as those built at the start of the company still in his style of build. I posted this on Facebook in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega tenor lute with 6 strings

Aww, darnit - I took my lute out of the case to verify the tailpiece type, and found some papers I forgot all about:

"with octave 3rd and 4th" for an extra $20.