Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick madness, maybe pick maintenance?

How the story ended . . . my wife found the pick this afternoon. It was attached to the back side of the headboard of the bed.

And of course, when I first started to play with it again, I didn't...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Arm rest a good aid for begginers?

I have only been playing about 2.5 years. I have a McClung armrest on all three of my American style mandolins. Would not do without one. On European style mandolins I have never seen one that...
  3. Thread: Pick advice?

by RodCH
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick advice?

I second B381. Different mandolins require different picks, so you have to try a bunch to see what you like. You may even find that you like different picks on different days.

I also have to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Pick madness, maybe pick maintenance?

I've got 7 mandolins (an obvious case of MAS but that isn't my problem at the moment).

Three of them are American style, two A5's and an F5. On those, I use EJ74's and my favorite (really only)...
  5. Replies
    Views

Note of thanks to Baron Collins-Hill

Of all the people or sites on the internet that have helped me over the last couple of years, the MandoLessons site really stands out.

It has a combination of very simple arrangements, each of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ukelele tuned like a Mandola

Yes, that is it. "Concert" ukulele. 31U.

And of course, being a software developer of more than 40 years, I, like most people, have no idea where the "turn off the auto-correct" button is (even...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin of MAS Destruction?

You definitely need that mandolin and I am very glad you got it.

I have so far experienced two mandolins that I thought were the end of MAS. One lasted a year. The other is only about 4-5 months...
  8. Thread: Arthritis?

by RodCH
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis?

Warm hands are always better. Just soaking your hands in warm water for 10 minutes before starting will help a lot, as well as feeling heavenly. And I agree with the folks here who say that the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I want to buy my first mandolin

I have an Eastman in my collection and my wife is always trying to get me to sell it. She says it sounds tinny. And I suspect her ears are better than mine.
  10. Thread: upper range

by RodCH
    Replies
    Views

Re: upper range

I find that melodies that I arrange myself tend to go up to the 10th or 12th fret, especially on E, A, and D strings, but the relatively simple tunes that I learn from various mandolin tab sites...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "Bistro Fada" from Midnight in Paris (2011)

Just wanted to say thanks for the video. Fantastic work!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do mandolin players move around so much?

Whoever said "trance inducing", I think there is something to that. I move around, not in time to the music, even when seated. I tend to look a bit like a blind musician, and they all move in a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Workflow to generate mandolin tabs

I discovered something which probably a lot of people already know but if you don't know it, it is pretty handy.

I can't read a treble clef. I used to 30 years ago when I played CG but that 30...
  14. Thread: 10 years in...

by RodCH
    Replies
    Views

Re: 10 years in...

Congratulations on 10 years. I started around 9 months ago, so I am way behind you. For those wondering about their progress, I think the secret is to wonder about whether you are having fun or not...
  15. Replies
    Views

Scored Lackey #14

Everyone,

I just received the Lackey #14 that was in a classified here. This thing is an amazing work of art. And sweet. I don't think my nylon stringed classical guitar ever produced notes as...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding Fiddle Tune Tabs Up the Neck

If you have played a tune enough to know what it sounds like, just try switching to a different key . . . which means start the tune with a different note, then play all the notes in relation to that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Following the tabs vs creativity

Don't get me wrong. I can't sight read and I wish I could. If you can, I salute you and envy you.

Thirty or more years ago I was a classical guitarist, no more accomplished as such than I am as...
  18. Re: Where do you play and store your instruments at home?

Reply to "chrisoff". It is quite possible that there is not much of a problem in Aberdeenshire Scotland. The humidity thing really relates to where you live. For example, I spent a week in San...
  19. Thread: Eastman MD404

by RodCH
    Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404

I have to agree with everybody who says get something now. It will never be your last mandolin (well, I guess someday everybody has a last, but not for a while). But meanwhile, how can you get by...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Travel and Calluses

I too live in fear of any hiatus. I ended up quitting classical guitar in my early 30s because business trips were too disruptive to my playing. Each time I got home after a week away it was like...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

I still have these strings on my Eastman MD504. Took it to California over Thanksgiving and played it a lot. Love these strings and hope they will be available to buy when it comes time to change...
  22. Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

These people are not your spouse, so of course you are free to blow them off. For example, when somebody asks what I do for a living I say "something to do with computers".

For your spouse, or...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Switching Back and Fourth

I have flat and radiused fret boards and scales ranging from 315mm (really short pocket mandolin) to American-style 14.25 inches.

I don't notice a difference between flat and radiused fret boards,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Installing a strap button on A style

Problems beginning the hole, as stated by Fear. For a situation like this I would do all the stuff everybody said (tape on the drill bit and tape on the mandolin) but I would also start the hole...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get that sweet tone?

Just wanted to report back . . . I got a dozen D'Andrea Proplec 346 1.5mm as recommended by JH Murray, plus I have had about three more weeks to play, so probably around 40 hours of playing this...
Page 1 of 2 1 2