Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudes Gils and the "Loar tone"

There on par with Loar or beyond. Loar didn't have any special science, no different wood, no unknown varnish recipe. It wasn't that long ago and it is all well documented most of them have also been...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Janish Mandolins

Hi August,
    I cant tell you how much I appreciate the effort you made to bring these mandolins in to the country. And then selling me on of you personal Janish mandolins. It is a great mando...
  3. Replies
    Views

Sorry, Thats just not true. They are great mandolins and they are played by a lot of great mandolin players. There are many great mandolin players that play other mandolins. Even Chris Thile has...
  4. Replies
    Views

I will probably be stoned for saying this on the cafe. But do believe Loar deserves a whole lot of credit for what he got going as does Orville Gibson who often gets overlooked. I would liken him to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on gouges

Hi Nicolas, Yes I believe you can do it with one chisel and it would be A Swiss made Pfeil #3 sweep x 22mm-30mm.(available at woodcraft and occasionally used on eBay). I have done a lot of carving in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What's going on at Weber?

Whats going on at Weber? NOTHING GOOD. I live near elderly instruments and I play mandolins there often. Their new mando's coming out of Bend Oregon are not the same
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here in a near tune my brother and I are playing. I'm on the mando and he's on the guitar. The guitar is tuned and played more like a banjo with a high E string on the top replacing the Low E and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a video of you recent builds

I really like the Siminoff style neck joint it is quite simple to achieve a very tight fitted joint, Ensuring proper sound transition from the neck to the body.
    On the oil varnish. I did 3 coats of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a video of you recent builds

Hi Bernie, as far as patterns and graduations. I have a Janish A5 that is a tremendous mandolin, one of the best A's I've ever played.
    I pretty much copied it is closely as possible with a few minor...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Here my first mandolin, Its not quite done it just has a few base coat of varnish on it and it needs final set up
    but Im pretty happy with it so far
    AAA Red spruce top
    AAA Red maple back and sides...
  11. Replies
    Views

Post a video of you recent builds

Please share a video of one of your recent mandolin builds.
    This is the first mandolin I have built. I have played most of my life, And I have been a professional woodworker for the last 10 year so...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin top thicknes

Here is some a sample of the Mandolin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8QsPuZfGvo

recorded on a iphone so sound quality could be much better.