Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

They are living as quietly as possible, and both doing quite well.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

You can get it from Amazon. Here’s the link:...
  3. Replies
    Views

Compton playing my Heiden A5

They had a mando tasting at Monroe Camp. Here's Compton playing my Heiden A5. Why doesn't it sound like this when I play it? :)

https://youtu.be/B-aQoOSy2VM

B-aQoOSy2VM
  4. Replies
    Views

NMD Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

I bought a Kentucky KM 950 from Brian Farmer of Sun Valley Guitars. He was great to work with and did a fantastic set up. The intonation and playability are spot on. I would buy from him again. The...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JiIqX0aE0
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

I think the reality is that the cost of making the less expensive models isn’t far from that of the more expensive models. So, labor costs being what they are, where is the best place to expend your...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Patterns in Sitka Spruce Top

Medullary rays are present in the wood regardless of whether they are visible at the surface or not, ray fleck is the figure at the surface of the wood caused by exposure of medullary rays. So, no...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Patterns in Sitka Spruce Top

It's called ray fleck. It is an anatomical feature of wood made up of cell groups that radiate from center to bark. They are visible to the naked eye in some woods and not in others. In spruce (and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

Here's a very fitting story honoring Bill with comments from Ted Eschliman among others:

WILLIAM “BILL” BUSSMANN, 1949-2023 - String instrument maker was notable bass player
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin redesign

Here's a rundown of my relationship with Bill Collings. I met Bill in 1978 in Tacoma Wa. at a luthiers convention. I went and visited him in Houston in 78 or 79. I bought the guitar he is holding in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Never said this was visual. It's possible, although I don't think so, and I should have said as such. It was the sound and response I noticed. You can make a lot of changes to how an instrument...
  12. Replies
    Views

Just read the article. Changes to the mandolin line did occur. Exactly when I wasn't told, but I noticed the difference at the last NAMM Show held in Anaheim (but not the previous year, so some time...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: ZETA acoustic mandolin question

With the reopening of many performance venues worldwide (early 2022) our ZETA violin sales went through the roof, forcing us to focus all efforts to meeting demand. That, combined with a complicated...
  14. Thread: Levon Helm

by Don Grieser
    Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm

I saw Amy Helm (Levon's daughter) at the Four Corners Folk Festival in September. I had a recorder running, but didn't start the video on my phone until the song had started. The story she told to...
  15. Thread: Ginny Hollon

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Ginny Hollon

I was deeply saddened to hear that Ginny Hollon passed away yesterday. As many of you know, she was the publisher of Mandolin Magazine, and she was active in the music community here in Oregon. She...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Ellis Mandolins at Music Emporium

The used Hummingbird A5 at TME sold for well over $7k a few months back, and within a few days of me dropping it off there.

As for Sylvan, they have had Ellis mandolins sit there for months on...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

I appreciate the effort, but that seller has no feedback since 2016, and it says they are "away." It's only listed as "watch" and not actually for sale, so I'd probably take a pass on that one.
  18. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The laws of physics state that objects (including guitars and mandolins) vibrate in their normal modes of motion in response to any stimulus and the frequencies of those modes are fixed, not...
  19. Replies
    Views

A major update to the Builder Database

Over the past three weeks we've worked through a major overhaul of the Builder Database that was launched on this site July 29, 1996. An eye opening experience worth sharing what we learned.

Mea...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder "Hooray Hooray"

I bought the CD off of Ry's bandcamp page ( rycooder.bandcamp.com ) to get the booklet and got an immediate download. Listened to it today and it's spectacular.

Here's a Fretboard Journal...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Asheville Guitar Show

Russ - Went yesterday for a short while. Some nice instruments for sure but it seems the markups are higher than ever, no doubt a sign of these times. I did have a very nice visit with the Altman...
  22. Replies
    Views

RIP Eddie Connors

I know there are a few members here that knew New Jersey mandolin player Eddie Connors. He has passed into eternity. He was my mandolin hero and a dear friend. He was leading the house band at Rac's...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon fiber and fiberglass cases

I suspect they have stopped supplying individual cases. I ordered a mandolin case in June, but they refunded my money and said they were not intending to make any mandolin cases for quite some time,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon fiber and fiberglass cases

Don't know, but it's recent. After getting my Coombe was checking their site out in August or September for cases.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Vintage wood case

Just looking at the picture, I don't like the lid padding putting pressure on the bridge. Should be over the neck and tailpiece only.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4