Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Take Your Pick

Hello,

In fact the strings and plectrum developed first before the instrument changed.

After the First World War there was a desire to create a more German sound different from the brighter...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Calace mandolin, 1926 - value?

I believe the idea was that the holes would eliminate "Wolf Notes".

But in saying that I am not sure if mandolins suffer from that as I only see bowed instruments with devices to eliminate wolf...
  3. Re: Strings and stringing of historical mandolins

Hello,

On his aquilacorde.com site, Mimmo Peruffo has listed a set of Neapolitan mandolin strings with an historical setup according to Fouchetti (Paris 1771)

e Nylgut, a & D brass, G silk...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe - Scotland

Hello,

I found a list of the UK tour dates for Bill Monroe in 1975.

The list starts with April 25 Glasgow (It was not actually Glasgow, but Uddingston but that may have been thought close...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe - Scotland

Hello,

Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys played in Scotland on the 25th April 1975 in Greyfriars Monastery in Uddingston.

"Big Mon" was joined on stage by Kenny Baker on fiddle, Bob Black on...
  6. Re: New Article by Paul Sparks about Mandolin and Guitar

As part of the British BMG Federation Symposium, Paul Sparks (author of “The Classical Mandolin” and co-author along with James Tyler of “The Early Mandolin”) gave a presentation on “The mandolin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hugo D'Alton article from 1973

Hello,

The last part of the article headed "In my early days I tackled many violin exercises..." actually comes from a different interview in the "BMG Magazine" which was headed "Close-up on Hugo...