Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Criss-Cross/Thelonious Monk

This tune really sits well on the mandolin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvGuyC3BZI
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

A move thing Barry likes to use for dominant seventh chords he calls "tritones minor".

https://youtu.be/LI5l_3PP2Os

PDF:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Eva Scow - After You've Gone

Eva's most definitely the real deal but flies under the radar a bit in the mandolin world. I know she got the call to appear on an Anthony Wilson CD around 14 years ago. Wilson, for those not...
  4. Replies
    Views

Eva Scow - After You've Gone

How is it I never heard of this young lady before? Splendid playing!

Kl6oavXJsi8
  5. Replies
    Views

Interesting video

https://youtu.be/lz3WR-F_pnM
  6. Thread: Parkerisms

by Pete Martin
    Replies
    Views

Parkerisms

I've recently shot 4 videos on Charlie Parker cliché phrases. Using these will help improvisers get more of a Bebop sound into their playing. You can see them here:
  7. Replies
    Views

4 common bebop phrases

Here are 4 videos each containing a common bebop improvising phrase. The lick starts at 4:50 of each video. The first of each vid describes the scale and key each phrase comes from (key of F major,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chord Voicings

I've been a "semi-professional" jazz player most of my life, and David is absolutely correct. Your guitarist wants you to change the chords to match his soloing,,it's the other way around,,his...
  9. Replies
    Views

I doubt he's driving other players in town crazy by playing chords with 5ths unless he's always altering. If so, I doubt there's a bass player around that wants to see him walk through the door. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

I've got to agree with David, this is very odd!

That said you can play 3, 7 and 9 or 13 on major or dominant chords. 3, 7, 9 or 11 on minor chords.
  11. Replies
    Views

Your partner's approach really does not make sense to me as a professional jazz musician that by nature needs to play chords with altered 5ths as a matter of course...along with all the other chords...
  12. Replies
    Views

If you're comping for guitar you can just play double stops on the lowest 2 strings. Keep it as simple as possible at first and then as you get used to playing together, you'll be able to vary it...
  13. Re: David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

Jethro was born in northern Georgia then moved to Knoxville TN very early on(age 3). I think he said he started mandolin when he was 5. His father was a tap dancer and comedian, all his brothers...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New at Jazz-Mandolin.com

New at www.Jazz-Mandolin.com. Video and article on using a Melodic Minor scale for improvising against a Dominant 7th chord. A very common 50's Jazz sound!

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in the key of F

Alan, you're dead wrong!

Rule: Singer gets to choose their key, unless there are other valid extenuating reasons

The key chosen makes it to difficult/impossible to sing the harmony part(s)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New at Jazz-Mandolin.com

New material at www.Jazz-Mandolin.com

Video: The Number System in Music Theory
    an introduction to how the number system works in music theory. Good for Jazz and non Jazz players alike.

17. Replies
    Views

Introduction to Drop 2 Chord Voicings

I just posted an introduction to Drop 2 style chord voicings. These are the most used voicings when improvising chord solos or making chord melody arrangements.

You can find this at the "Chord...