Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Just a heads up to the OP - we don't call them "jam sessions" over here, just sessions (ye might get a funny look if you walked in somewhere and asked if they had "jam sessions" there ), also...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

I came upon this version of an Italian tune, I must admit I really enjoyed the mandolin style, where I find the tremolo technique and result to be very different from that of "American" mandolin in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy mandocello strings?

Just to add a final note to the survey I posted above:

A response from my query to Dogal:

Dear Mr Barti,
    our strings for Mandoloncello are developed on Italian mandoloncello round back with...
  4. Re: Domenico Scarlatti mandolin compositions?

We've had a couple of discussions of this back in 2015, and at that time I also tried my hand (more or less successfully) on recording movements from K.77, K.83, K.88, K.89 and K.90 on mandolin.
  5. The Kindness of Strangers - Aidan Crossey

As some will know, Aidan Crossey has had some major health issues recently. Today he was taken into hospital for tests and possible surgery. (Not confidential information - he announced it on the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Vibrações - Jacob do Bandolim

Another great version of this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXqlJ0Zydc

-David
  7. Replies
    Views

This is one of the all-time great tunes in ANY genre and it's cool to hear all these interpretations. Here's my band rehearsing the tune for our show a couple months back at the Freight & Salvage...
  8. Replies
    Views

AndyC who used to post regularly here put up this set of backing tracks on SoundCloud back in 2015. I think he played all instruments. He was quite diffident about the tracks at the time - I'm no...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey Video Review

I also adjusted the pick up angle on The El Rey but the top E still sounds a bit thinner and more plinky to my ears in live situations for jazz Manouche.
    However these improntu sessions usually...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

Hey Fretbear, thank you for posting my YouTube video of the Don Brown Loar. I hope you liked it
  11. Replies
    Views

Uncle Don Brown's Loar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ee3X2-AXW4
  12. Re: John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

There's a lot of good stuff to work on there. It will take me a lot of practice before I am able to put up any kind of half-way decent attempt.

Hope you don't mind, Perry, but I had to put them...
  13. John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

I took some correspondence lessons form John way back when. I recently came across the original sheets he mailed me. They were done in pencil. I decided to re-scan them and share here. Some nice...
  14. Replies
    Views

Venuti transcriptions book

If like me you are interested in adapting Joe Venuti's jazz violin solos for mandolin, you could be interested in the book JOE VENUTI - NEVER BEFORE...NEVER AGAIN.

It has what look to be very...
  15. Apitius mandolin - Aaron Weinstein - All of Me

Hey there,

ICYMI: Yesterday's Mandolin Monday - Apitius Mandolin x 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORYOx3V2Ww
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

The above video was from a reunion concert, judging by the ages of Robin and Mike. Here's the same song from earlier when the Incredible String Band was still active. Robin is a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Robin Williamson mandolin

Here's a short clip of the Scottish musician/singer/songwriter, Robin Williamson, playing mandolin. Move cursor to 1:20.

If the links don't work search YouTube for "The Incredible String Band -...
  18. Replies
    Views

Anniversary of the Phonograph

It was on this day in 1877 that Thomas Edison first demonstrated the phonograph, so to celebrate, here I am recording on a cylinder at the Edison Studio in NJ. It's a piece I learned by ear off of a...
  19. Thread: Swarb on Mandolin

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Swarb on Mandolin

OK so we all knew he could play mandolin, but rarely seen, this clip of Whippersnapper from 1984 has Swarb tearing it up on mandolin, some great m'cello action later on too...

20. The Bothy Band to play Celtic Connections!!!!!

https://www.celticconnections.com/event/1/the-bothy-band

I can hardly believe I'm writing this, but the Bothy Band are to appear at Celtic Connections on 22nd January in Glasgow, Scotland.

Matt...
  21. Thread: Tenor guitars

by Denko
    Replies
    Views

Tenor guitars

Fanner Thinline Tenor Tele - Double P90 pickups, 22.8" scale length, Maple neck, Alder body with white top binding, Fender locking tuners and a translucent duck egg finish.

22. Replies
    Views

Maestoso by Carlos Curti

Yesterday, I read about Sheri Mignano Crawford's biography of Carlos Curti, Game of Hearts. That made me remember, that I once had ordered his mandolin method.
    No.29, Maestoso seemed playable for...
  23. Ye Vagabonds, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh. Great video

This is magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VKks9Ka2ZU
  24. Replies
    Views

Chris Aquavella concert

We will be welcoming Chris Acquavella to Brighton, UK over the weekend of 21/22 October 2023. He will be running a workshop on Saturday afternoon and play the concert on Sunday at 3.30 pm. As well as...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice On Fixing This Binding Issue

Yours is quite a bit simpler than this one because you only have to deal with the surface veneer and not the whole side thickness like this one.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4