Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Sierra on Fretboard Journal

She really is good, you know.

Well, we all know that of course, but honestly, just watch how she covers the whole of the fretboard, watch how effortlessly she uses her pinky - indeed her whole...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: It Made the Mandolin Sound Better

I wonder if you took that stash and placed it on a Tone-Rite. I bet the mandolin would sound even better. :)
  3. Replies
    Views

It Made the Mandolin Sound Better

About a month ago I was looking for something in my lapidary shop and accidentally came across my kids' weed stash. It is legal in AZ now. My reefer madness days stopped well before my mando days...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Cases and covers

Rumor has it, Calton is coming out with a new mandolin case that doesn't even have space for a mandolin. It's simply meant to be carried with nothing in it. Pre-orders have sold out.
  5. Thread: Cases and covers

by maxr
    Replies
    Views

How about one of those 100% waterproof tote bags you buy in sailing shops - the ones with the roll over neck and plastic clips fittings? It might be nearly as effective and convenient as your trash...
  6. Thread: Cases and covers

by maxr
    Replies
    Views

Case credibility here in UK is having it look like you did 10,000 gigs, with half torn off stickers for bands that split in 1975 and festivals that went under years ago. I think some people take the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 cases and their Dogs

I love my small dog too.

And, I love my small dogs! We COVID-rescued two Havanese dogs and they are just great too!

f-d
  8. Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

I've just this minute had an epiphany. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking I need to try every different decent mandolin I can get my hands on locally. If I don't love any of them, at least...
  9. Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

Louise and Dan, some very good points. There is nothing like playing several and selecting the one that feels the best!

On the point of scale length, I would suggest the use of “more common”...
  10. Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

There are a lot of factors. The width of the neck, the shape, and also the depth, plus every conceivable combination. A narrow neck may feel more comfortable, the closer string spacing might make it...
  11. Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

About GC used/vintage: they do have an excellent policy of shipping from any store to your local store. Then you have the option of going to that store and trying it out and you can then return it in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Katy Hill with a Chinese twist

Katy Hill
    John Reischman (mandolin) with the Jaybirds and a bunch of Chinese instruments (pipa, ...)

https://youtu.be/7LALgWz0xc0
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: C.Mangan RoundCore Monel

I love the Gabriel Wiseman monel set that CM has, have been using them for a few months now (2 sets).
    They are the "custom medium" gauges I prefer and I think they are as good or better than the...
  14. Thread: the Small Dog

by fatt-dad
    Replies
    Views

Re: the Small Dog

We are new to small dogs. Through a spit of magic we ended up adopting two Havanese during Covid. The first one in April and the second one in August. Female first and male second. Figured that...
  15. Thread: Hot Fire

by BrianWilliam
    Replies
    Views

Hot Fire

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyl4YAqKvwQ
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Are old strings hard to keep in tune? Why?

To expand upon what Dale said, and upon a couple of other things that have been mentioned here... this might get kind of long, but you don't have to read it if you don't want to...

As we play we...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

I don’t like vodka martinis. It must be gin. Also, I enjoy F-style mandolins and coffee ;)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Eddie Van Halen RIP

One of the all-time great players and proof that the 10,000 hour practice rule (plus Schlitz beer) works!

RIP, EVH
  19. Our version of David Grisman's 'Ricochet' / quarantine video

Just wanted to share this project I was fortunate to be a part of. My best buddy, Brian 'Willie' Williams figured the three mandolin parts to Ricochet, one of the tunes I've dreamed of playing since...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: more accurate clip on tuner than Snark?

The 4th and 5th harmonics are pretty strong when we pluck a string, and often clip-on tuners will pick up one of them instead of the fundamental. For example, D is the 5th harmonic of G, so it is not...
  21. Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

There was no truss rod in the neck of Peter's mandolins.

Did you contact him to ask these questions? He lurks around here and is likely watching. Even though you bought it secondhand, he may be...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

Speaking of Sideman Sam, this break off Berserkely (Markology, 1979) has thrilled for decades, so much so that I had John McGann work his transcription magic on it.

QGXm-gpaXxw
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your go-to crowd pleasers?

Absolutely! Both of those also work great as set openers.

Around the fire, with only one choice, I might also go with John Reischman’s “Little Pine Siskin” or “Daylighting the Creek.”
  24. Re: Fantastic David Grisman Quintet one mic recording

Has there ever been a better intro to a song? And the way David similarly ends the song but in reverse form . . . nothing short of inspired genius!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: If you jam . . . .

You'd be fine by me.

Years ago I took a workshop presented by Seth Rosen, a departed musician that I miss. Seth talked about playing "secondary rhythm", meaning that in many band/jam situations...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4