Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Side bending. Is this worth saving?

I agree with the last 2 posters.
    When we have bent curly maple into scroll shapes for 30 years or so we learn that the wood cracks sometimes and we have to repair minor cracks. May as well lean that...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

Well, perhaps I shoulda said "shrunken solidbody electric guitar" to be more precise. But I only learned about the El Rey guitar in the process of writing my review. It's not as though someone took...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

All right, thanks for your patience, here are my remarks.
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/columns/hands-on-eastman-erm-el-rey-mandolin/
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Are Eastmans a keeper?

Eh....that's easy....live in a town where you could swear you're the only person who plays mandolin AND stay out of ear shot of anything better than what you have currently.

See.....easy.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

Your friend may have a PHD in musicology — I have a masters in plant biochemistry, and while I never studied cell death specifically, the current understanding of the natural senescence of plant...
  6. Re: New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic reception of my jazz model mandolins! I carried the concept for these "J-models" around in my head for many years and was finally able to make them a reality a...
  7. Re: New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

Very cool! Would love to hear a sound clip!

Thanks,
    Baron
  8. Re: New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

One way to know what they sound like - listen to any mandolin recording by Dan Tyminski and any recent work by David Benedict. They’re both die hard supporters. There are also a number of recording...
  9. Replies
    Views

New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

Here’s a few pics of a special order Apitius Club Jazz mandolin I just just received. I knew Oliver Apitius was a one man shop, and wondered if he could do a custom headstock inlay . I provided him...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Unfinished scrolls

It's called over-spray. When lacquer is sprayed from a spray gun some of the material escapes into the air; some from the edges of the spray pattern as the lacquer leaves the gun, most from...
  11. Re: quick question about a stew mac straight truss rod

Haven't looked at this for a while. Also includes the 7/8" deep at the nut neck without the fingerboard. Only 1/4" too much. You can see where I penciled in a more realistic profile.
  12. Re: quick question about a stew mac straight truss rod

This might help
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/129876-Truss-Rod-Profile
  13. Re: Externally vs Internally mounted Piezo?

A good place to put the piezo is right behind the transverse brace between the brace and the bridge, under either the treble or bass bridge foot. I did some testing on a braced oval-hole top and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Finished at last

Mike, the back is a 45 year old piece of violin wood that I have had for 20 years and the front is a similar aged piece of Sitka spruce.
    The mando sounds great straight out of the box, very easy to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Externally vs Internally mounted Piezo?

Thanks everyone for the replies. A few of you confirmed my suspicions that externally mounted Piezos are more frequently quieter than internally mounted. It's also interesting to learn how the glue...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Go Down Memory Lane

I have played a Jacobson and I own a Hamlett and they both are superior mandolins to my '94 Gibson F5G in every way: fit, finish, functionality and (obviously this is highly subjective) tone.

I'm...
  17. Replies
    Views

I started "tinkering"and repairing out of curiosity. My first built instrument was a banjo. It turned out at least as good as I expected it to, and far and away better than my friends expected it...
  18. Replies
    Views

I wanted to build F style mandolin since I was 13-14 but all I had was pocket knife and few household tools and no instruction whatsoever (I knew mandlins from few tapes ,VHS and some old worn copies...
  19. Thread: truss rods

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: truss rods

The important thing in compression truss rods is that the anchors need to be as deep as possible. Depth of line connecting the anchors is the most important factor. Curve has some effect but rather...
  20. Thread: truss rods

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: truss rods

A simple, tension truss rod works the same way whether it is straight of curved. The rod compresses the neck wood below (away from the fingerboard) the neutral axis of the neck shaft and thus...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bending Sides

I don't really know if I'm "doing it right" or not, but I never get the complete bend all in one go. I wind up sort of rocking the wood back on forth on the iron, applying a bit of pressure, ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Also to John's point -- wood thin enough to bend well doesn't have enough mass to hold significant moisture.
    So even if it's not over-soaked, it might dry out in a moment or two after touching the...
  23. Thread: Bending Sides

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Sapele is sort-of-mahogany, and that means it might benefit from soaking in water, but 4 hours might be excessive. Over-wetting wood can lead to breaking.
    We must learn how each wood we use...
  24. Replies
    Views

Bending Sides

I was going to attempt to bend the sides for the guitar I am building. I heated the pipe to 400 degrees, had the wood soaking for 4 hours. It bent to a certain amount, and then broke. I tried in...
  25. Smith Creek F-5, H-5 and A-5 Plans/Drawings

If anyone is looking for a set of plans to build with or add to their collection feel free to download these.

F-5 Plans were drawn from studying/measuring 9 Loar mandolins over the years. Mainly...
Page 1 of 2 1 2