Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: First Mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe and Forum, kd8tzc! I think you will like the Eastman. I have one I bought from TMS and like it. The Eastman has a lifetime guarantee, which I think is fantastic. The tailpiece...
  2. Re: Slowed Down Bluegrass with Pics of WV Mountains

Almost heaven ... :whistling:

Driven the Blue Ridge Parkway a few times - I know, further east - and I-81 once - I know, further south - and I have traipsed through West Virginia too, somewhere...
  3. Re: Slowed Down Bluegrass with Pics of WV Mountains

Having grown up in one of the Virginia counties that borders West Virginia, as a kid I thought most of the world looked like that. When it's there all the time we tend to not even notice. I remember...
  4. Re: Slowed Down Bluegrass with Pics of WV Mountains

Nice job.
    As an old whitewater paddler, I've been all over that part of West Virginia and paddled those rivers you showed. Lovely place lost in time.
    Bill
  5. Thread: First Mandolin

by GMorgan
    Replies
    Views

If I were buying a first mandolin from tthe two builders you list I would be more inclined to go with the Kentucky. However, I also recommend an Eastman as a great beginning mandolin that can become...
  6. Replies
    Views

I agree with Bill. As much as I prefer to buy American, it is had to find an American made entry level mandolin. I opted for an Eastman 305 (made in China) from The Mandolin Store (NFI) a couple of...
  7. Replies
    Views

NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

Hello all,

I am a bit late posting this as the mandolin arrived last Thursday, but I just wanted to spend some time getting to know it and hadn't taken any pics.

After recently selling two...
  8. Some Songs Are Better Played on a Mandolin

I hope that this is the right place to post this. I play (I use that term loosely) both guitar and mandolin, as many of you do, and I have come to the realization that some tunes should be played on...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

There was a used Collings MT wide nut, for under $ 2,500.oo posted today. It only lasted a few hours.

Good luck with your search!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

I bought a used 515V last after test driving a 515 in a local music store (which i would have bought if they hadn't sold it). I find it plenty loud, and it is now my main instrument - even over my...
  11. Andrew and Emily of Watchhouse Band hit by car in crosswalk

Pictures says it all, luckily he says he'll recover. Saw just now on Instagram and thought worth sharing. In our thoughts, for sure!

Dear friends, last night in Iowa City the two of us were...
  12. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Player Magazine!

Well, I'm a day early for April 1st, but what the heck...

Seems like the time is ripe for a glossy, high-production value magazine for us... don't you think it's about time? There's certainly...
  13. NMD - impulse purchase, and an F style to boot

With both our anniversary and my birthday coming up, and having my wife's approval, had started looking more seriously for my first F style mandolin. Was thinking would wait longer when this one...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD815/V in classifieds

+1 on the 815v for great tone and volume. Whenever I'm warming up when playing out or at a jam, musicians come up and start asking about it.
  15. Replies
    Views

Gibson Opry Mills Facility

This morning while looking for something else I bumped into these pictures taken by Richard Johnston in a visit to Gibson's Opry Mills facility back in 2000. It's no longer there but it was a fun...
  16. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

I have discovered so much new music, met a whole bunch of local like minded folks, made new friends, and overall enriched my life by picking up the mandolin.
  17. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

I first saw my wife at a jam at Wintergrass that I got invited to as I was walking past the registration desk. Talk about unexpected! Can't be any better than that:)
  18. Re: mandolin orange-Unknown Legend (Neil Young cover)....WOW

They are big fans of Neil. They have covered "Cowgirl In The Sand" for a long time, both as a duo and with the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVNIPVLfZo
  19. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

I met some cool people and heard some great music as a result of playing the mandolin, but the biggest surprise is that it made me a better musician in general.
  20. Replies
    Views

Eastman 805 Review

Heya, Folks!

Good news.... I recently acquired an Eastman 805, and let me say, I’m very impressed with the value of this mandolin. Although I expected it to be a good mandolin in terms of action...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sight read tab?

If you want to do sight read playing in time, I’d suggest standard notation. Tablature, for me, is useful for use in the practice room, and nowhere else. I use standard notation when sight reading,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Once in a Lifetime Mandolin Find

Some weeks ago I happened to snag a 1929 Martin Style 20 which had been floating around GCs in the NYC area for some time. After the price had been greatly reduced, I decided to bite and take a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: First song to learn on mandolin

Eruption
    Giant Steps :disbelief:
    Ornithology
    Peaches in Regalia
    The Claw
    Limerock :crying:
    Wild Thing

(just goofin' on you!) :))
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

I'm with Em. I wouldn't appreciate a discussion of my personality or behaviour on the Forum. If anyone's unhappy with things I say, I'd hope they'd either address me personally, perhaps through a PM...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

Eric,
    I was a bit surprised by your comment. I have found this to be one of the most civil message boards that I use. It most cases the few personal attacks or political posts that pop up are...
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4