Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Reviving old tortoise celluloid binding

If I have to remove binding and know that I'm not going to re-use it, I at least partially rout it out to minimize finish and/or wood damage.
    If I'm going to try to save the binding, see Don...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello build thread

I know this is an old thread, but a friend has been pining for a 'cello. I did a search for Mandocello build threads and found this one. I have been skimming through it and reading bits here and...
  3. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

I've built four mandolins but I still search for all this stuff, so this is a tremendous resource. Thanks for your efforts.
  4. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

Also not commented so far, but there's lots of good stuff here, looks like the research material for a book :)

I haven't read through in detail yet, but I'm sure I'll dip into bits as and when: as...
  5. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

Indeed.

A monumental task and welcome resource.

Mike, is this worth a "sticky" to locate it at the top of the subforum?

Mick
  6. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

This is the sort of post where you may not get an immediate reaction but someplace down the line someone will thank you for it. The people looking for the information will appreciate the effort.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Carolina Quartet Persimmon fittings

Here are couple of other ideas from the same log, the bass top, and the F5 top that I torrified here in the shop.
  8. Replies
    Views

Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

One of my students, Zach Dease, and I received a generous Folklife grant from the North Carolina Arts Council to build a matched quartet of our choice from all North Carolina woods. This is my second...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wood binding

I've never used plastic binding for any of my mandolins; all 136 have been wood. It matters to me.

If it is a light colored wood, like curly maple, before any staining the maple gets painted with...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Cutting bits for rosette channels

!.5mm downcut bits are readily available on the net. I bought a few from Germany with the shaft to suit a Dremel. Took about a week to get to Aus.
  11. Replies
    Views

The Bishop Cochran base with a good downcutting bit should work great. I've made tons of rosettes using that system. My current setup uses a micro fence which I adore because of it's 1:1 ratio- turn...
  12. Replies
    Views

Both tools you mention are, I think, single collet size, 1/8 and 1/4 which restricts regular bits or requires stepped ones. Using any kind of a chuck with either would be disastrous. Then, one tool...
  13. Replies
    Views

The bits I've gotten from Precise Bits are great. Pricey but really high quality. I use them in a CNC. For what you're talking about I use the the downward spiral. Remember though, that the quality...
  14. Replies
    Views

Down cut bits work a little better, there are special bits that are ground so that they have both "down cut" and "up cut" features. They're kind of expensive, and in my experience, a well sharpened...
  15. Re: Gibson F-5G vs. Northfield Big Mon vs. others in $5k-$6K rang

Spell-check changed my word "more" to "Mrs". But you don't have to sell the Mrs.either.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: so i may have purchased a Gibson F5G

the F5G was sacrificed..........
    nothing wrong with it- i already have a Gibson i tightly bonded with immediately:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/158599-2021-Gibson-F9

then this...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: so i may have purchased a Gibson F5G

Great stuff! Congrats!!! We're looking forward to a vid or sound clip! :)

P.S. Is this Dave Harvey signed?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner Tuners

Your Apitius came with Golden Age tuners?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC plate carving service

I'd gladly pay a hefty sum for a CAD file of Adrian's plans; they are the best available!
  20. Re: No mandolin content. Taylor Guitars story about sourcing wood

The problem is not wood.

The problem is Bob Taylor insisting on consuming 130,000 guitars a year worth of wood.
  21. Smith Creek F-5, H-5 and A-5 Plans/Drawings

If anyone is looking for a set of plans to build with or add to their collection feel free to download these.

F-5 Plans were drawn from studying/measuring 9 Loar mandolins over the years. Mainly...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Best case

Good luck in your hunt. Cases are very subjective of course. Here's our take on the still reasonably new Collings vintage cases. Speaking only for myself, my hunt for the ultimate case for our needs...
  23. Thread: Fret saws

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fret saws

Like Andrew, I do best with .024" fret slots. I also bought one of the older Stewmac hand saws, and it had no set, and it was nearly impossible to use. I added set to the saw, resharpened and jointed...
  24. Thread: Fret saws

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fret saws

I like my slots to be 0.024”. I bought one of Stew-Mac’s saws many years ago, and it had no set and was difficulty to use. They may have changed them since then. I later had a Japanese-style one...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello build thread

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4