Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: anyone seen/tried a B&J two point like this?

Some B&J tenor guitars are identical to KayKraft so maybe Stromberg Voicinet. They did a lot with pressed tops.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ideal scale length

I’m a big fan of the size 2:

211241 211240

But I could be tempted by the Martin TEN515 from Elderly. Or a Collings. Plus the Fletcher. And a National…
  3. Thread: Ideal scale length

by fox
    Replies
    Views

I am much more comfortable using a 20 -21” scale for CGDA, it just makes the tension more even and relaxed.
    I personally think GDAE works better on a 22-24” scale otherwise the G feels...
  4. Replies
    Views

My uninformed opinion is 21" for CGDA and 23" for GDAE. YMMV.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Help to Identify this Old Tenor Guitar

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information.

Mike, no, it is some kind of felt material. My guess is that this instrument spend a long time in a very hot attic sitting on top of a piece of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Help to Identify this Old Tenor Guitar

Does anyone have an idea about the age or maker of this old tenor guitar. It was given to me as a luthier project. As bad as it looks, with the exception of the finish damage and the hole in the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Tenor Guitar plans out there?

It is also fun to design your own from scratch. Just keep a few parameters in mind. Here is what I am working on.
  8. Re: Previously unknown Loar K5 Gibson mandocello shows up!

Maybe there are naive music store owners/proprietors with functioning brick and mortar stores that have survived the market moving on-line, epidemics, price hikes and all the other obstacles to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Larson Brothers?

Unfortunately many of us, myself included, have misidentified mandolins as possible Larson built instruments. Add the fact that some well known experts and authors have identified obvious Regal built...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Larson Brothers?

I think Carl and August might have ridden the streetcar past the Regal facility on the day that was built but I can't be totally sure.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The new ‘ukelele’

Called it a ‘ukulele’; perhaps should have used full quotation marks. Anyway, UK folks, in the US we have a network of somewhat questionable charity thrift stores called Goodwill, with an online...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Back in the game on a budget

NFI, I think Big Muddy is one of the more underrated mandolin brands around. A bit ago I got me an M-11 and I have played the potatoes out of it. Made it my avatar. And its quality, playability,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: A string breaking...often

It wont make any difference if the sting is 8-9 -10 -11 the pull weight will be more but the the tension will still be near the breaking stain ….. most folk use .10.
    The only way to reduce the risk...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

And even if the Greco mandolin were rare, it might not be desirable. I think Gruhn said: "Bubonic plague is rare, but not desirable"
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 17 fret Irish Tenor Banjo vs mandolin

Yeah, we get the "Irish tenor banjo" as well as the "Irish bouzouki." Just means that people play Celtic music on these instruments. There's also the "Irish harp" for smaller diatonic wire-strung...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 17 fret Irish Tenor Banjo vs mandolin

I tune my Irish Tenor Banjo C G D A. Irish Tenor is a fun instrument.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Is it worth repairing?

That resembles a 1927 Stahl-labeled Regal, to which I made extensive repairs several years ago. The top had severely distorted around the soundhole(but not cracked, like yours), due to(I think)...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: H 1 mandola on SGW

$2351.

Well, I've seen H1s listed for more! New owner will have to decide what to do about the pickguard, and perhaps have someone make a new support arm, but this could be a decent mandola at a...
  19. Re: Let's talk about the Stromberg archtop guitar on SGW...

Yep, it boggles the mind to think someone is paying $8500 on a guitar that needs $5000 worth of work and parts and should be worth approx $14,000 once restored (as opposed to going to Carter, Gruhn,...
  20. Replies
    Views

A Regal tenor guitar with a history

Hi all,

I just received this Regal. I've owned 3 others, the last about eight years ago, but didn't keep any of them. Now I'm playing Irish music and it will be a great addition. It's in good...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 String Archtop Tenor

My 5-strings were all made by Paul Lestock of Arrow Guitar & Mandolin. Scale length is ~22.75" if I recall (I'm not near them at the moment).

I generally use a regular guitar pack and drop the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 String Archtop Tenor

I have a few 5-string tenors with that scale. I use FCGDA and find it really accessible. Straight 5ths across the strings.

-DJW
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Scooping the fingerboard and faux frets...

I use maple laminate for faux frets. It is a perfect width for the fret tang, and is cheap.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for a regal tenor guitar...

I purchased the Musicians Gear Bari case from Musicians Friends and it fits my Regal tenor just fine. I can not recall if I made a small mod for the neck support but it works just...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Howe-Orme mandolinetto neck joint.

The more I look at this I think the dowel is only used to mount the fingerboard extension.I believe the neck joint is simply a tenon. I will find out more once I get it apart.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3